Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
PA, No longer live in ME
City
Pocono's
I originally posted this on the PLS side, no response. Any PALs or CALs living in Northern New Mexico
Had lived a good number of years in NM before joining the Navy, the wife grew up of there. Just went back to Santa Fe for a family reunion and really enjoyed it, had forgotten how nice the laid back life style was. Never mind the weather. Marshell and I were thinking about adding it to our short list of places to retire too, Maine and the cold is not going to cut it. Do any of you have any experience with the medical system out there and their support for MND’s? Hard decision to make, looking at NY (Hudson Valley), Orlando Fla area and Santa Fe. I’m sure one or two others may pop up.

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,
I would e-mail the pt care coordinator of the ALSA NM chapter (on line) for a start.
Their Web site looks like they are a pretty with-it chapter. Not all are.
NY on the face of it would seem cold/snowy for a wheelchair...different if you have acreage, I suppose.
Barbie I think is in Orlando? She can chime in.
Santa Fe has always seemed nice when I've been there.
You may also want to consider how easy it is for others to visit, if you have a far-flung family.

Mike, Look at a warm place, even here in north florida Steve complains about how cold he is during the winter. with little movement the feet and legs get cold easily.
if you are worried about medical support get up the ALS Association coordinator and see where the facilities that have ALS clinics are located, least that is where I'd start

>Mike, Look at a warm place, even here in north florida Steve complains about how cold he is during the winter

Megs right -- go for warm. Houston (Humidistan) has great ALS support, great property value, and for vets great benefits. AC bill runs high, but pool temp is now 88f and will go to 92f in Aug, so great place for scrub-a-dub:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back