Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
Oh boy! today I stayed home from work and my DH new wheelchair was delivered!

He was so happy, and said it was very comfortable and he was very happy. took forever to get--3 months from when we started the paper work. I t is a good think that this was a replacement for his old one and not his first....that is why pals should not delay in ordering.

much more streamline and quiet than his old chair, and drives so much easier. he also go leg switches so he can control it with his knees as they are stronger than his shoulders.

His favorite thing is the pads on his feet--did not have those on the old chair and felt so good! I was most nervous about transfers (of course) but I worked thru it with the wheelchair rep a couple of times so I would not be on my own and have problems.

The rep even helped us with attaching our drink holder and adapting it to our new chair. (IT IS A COBBLED TOGETHER ONE WE DESIGNED WITH SPARE PARTS. OUR $7005.95 DRINK HOLDER) :-D

way to go. always nice to get a new toy, especially after we've accepted the fact that we need it

Good for you Barbie! I hope your pals enjoys his new ride.

Debbie

>Oh boy! today I stayed home from work and my DH new wheelchair was delivered!

terrific! what's a DH?

from today, new tags :)

Attachments

• DSC_2021.jpg
    DSC_2021.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 551
DH=dear husband, right Barbie? So happy for him! Why nervous to transfer?

still waiting for Steve to befriend his, they are coming to chang out the arm rest and repossition them as well, wish us luck!

they are quiet aren't the Barbie, and have an amazingly small foot print

What are the best wheelchairs to get?

>What are the best wheelchairs to get?

can't wait to see the results of this! :)

I have a Permobil M300 -- incredible turning radius, only goes 6.4 mph unless I can get them to speed it up. The dogs can still get ahead of me ...

Attachments

• DSC_0894-2.jpg
    DSC_0894-2.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 622
I have a Permobile C300. Whatever you get, make sure it's prescribed by a physical therapist at the ALS clinic, and that it has everything that you need during the course of your ALS. You may have trunk control now, but you need a good supportive back, headrest, and chest harness for when you don't. Also, Automatic tilt, recline, foot extension are necessities. Lgelb has a great article called "five Assistive Technology Myths" that tells you how to get the elevate function paid for... But I'm not sure if your healthcare is as argumentative as it is here. One thing that a lot of people don't consider is an attendant control, for when you're unable or too tired or cold to drive.

Barbie, so happy for both of you. Got my Permobil 2 months ago. It opened up a whole new worldl for me. And it is a ball to drive. Beer holder is most important..take care. Patrick

>Beer holder is most important.

I am trying to design a dog water dish :)

Anyone with the Permobil M300, could you tell me the what size of bag could hang on the side but not get caught in the wheels? My sister is making me some bags for my chair, but she can't wait until mine comes in. Max, you had what look like a bag in one of your pics.

Thanks,
Tracy

>Anyone with the Permobil M300, could you tell me the what size of bag could hang on the side but not get caught in the wheels? My sister is making me some bags for my chair, but she can't wait until mine comes in.

>Max, you had what look like a bag in one of your pics.

it is ~useless, I just measured and it looks like 4" deep x 4" high x 14" front-to-back. just took some pics I'll post as soon as I develop them. CR just scored, so game time 1st :)

>just took some pics I'll post as soon as I develop them.

Attachments

• DSC_0911-2.jpg
    DSC_0911-2.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 523
  • DSC_0912-2.jpg
    DSC_0912-2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 483
  • DSC_0913-3.jpg
    DSC_0913-3.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 432
  • DSC_0914-3.jpg
    DSC_0914-3.jpg