minnesota

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
MN
City
Coon Rapids
Hospice started 2 months ago. Nice to have an RN to bounce ideas off. No help otherwise but feels comforting to have someone check in once a week. Jim still hasn't tried the massage they offer but based on your recommendations well give it a try! I would personally love it but they don't have that as a menu selection for cals! Haha

Morphine started on Memorial Day plus lorazepam (ativan). .1ml to start and now just increased to .25ml to relieve shortness of breath. Jim is still lucid. He felt like he was becoming a drug addict (he never took even an ibuprofen) but i reminded him if he was scuba diving and didn't have help for his breathing he would be fearful and would fight through the shortness of breath (SOB) causing more SOB. He has already been uncomfortable, Agitated and we couldn't put a finger on what was going on until we realized via fvc that is breathing was really compromised! Morphine has helped and he's still living life.

Sleep is better and not scary with the combo meds. I'm still up helping Jim adjust or pee or get more meds (btw i always thought I'd have to do a morphine shot but the med is liquid so it goes under the tongue--sub lingual)! People ask me why I don't look tired and I say "visine"! Heehee. If they only knew the brain fog I'm in while trying to take in every moment!

Bowel movements are a challenge with constipating morphine but senna 3x day plus dulcolax supp 3x wk has been a good combo! We tried the other recommendations here and couldn't get things moving!

Jim's neck is weak so I turn his head when he tilts back in his Pwc. No neck brace because he has to bend his chin down to swallow. Puréed foods now and trying to get creative! Tried a taco in a bag from a grad party (chips and all) in the magic bullet and it was smooth as silk! Jim loved it!

Speech is but a whisper and based on the new Medicare rules we can't get an eyegaze system now that we're on hospice. I don't think he'd use it anyway! I'm looking into myvoice app and have some pics and categories of words that I'll make into a chart this week.

Speaking of Medicare I am glad we got the attendant control on the Pwc originally because hospice won't want to pay for that! Jim's also worn the tread on one wheel going around the kitchen table to relax--around and around--plus he's always been very active so makes sense! Maybe the med supplier will work with our als group to get him new wheels!

Tired! Yes I am but my mantra is "I can nap when I'm nighty--oops so tired--I mean ninety!"

Thanks for sharing important specifics. That really helps people who worry about their future.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us.....you are a very special person:):)

Hi, Marie -- our thoughts are with you and Jim ...

>Bowel movements are a challenge with constipating morphine but senna 3x day plus dulcolax supp 3x wk has been a good combo! We tried the other recommendations here and couldn't get things moving!

Since Jim can still swallow, you might try blending gazpacho -- the fiber is supposed to really help.

>Jim still hasn't tried the massage they offer but based on your recommendations well give it a try! I would personally love it but they don't have that as a menu selection for cals!

Go out and give yourself one -- a small treat for a very special person!

:)

Minnesota, check with your local mda rep about the tires. My local rep told me that they will grant him $500 a year for repairs, maintainance on my pwc

Marie, so sorry things are getting worse for you, but sounds like the two of you are on top of it and being very proactive. I am glad you found the combo that works for you with the pooping. you can listen to other people's solutions but you gotta find the one that works for you!~

I puree everything for my husband--usually what ever I make for the family is what he eats. I have found to stay away from rice and pasta, because the starch gets too sticky. add lots of oil or water or cream or gravy to make the right consistency for him.

he should def. get that massage! ( and you should too--treat yourself)

Dalvin, our MDA also does that for PWC, and that is a great idea. When our new one comes in I was going to have a few things fixed on our old one.

Marie, you hang in there girlfriend! you are an amazing woman and Jim is an amazing man.

you might also let your insurance or medicare pay for what they will and then get the mda to pick up the tab. Might have some left over for a few modifications

Marie, that update shows both the steady decline happening but what an amazing carer you are.

Staying that step ahead is not as easy as it sounds, you are all over it!

I still remember the bone deep tiredness, I'm still shaking it off too really

Marie you have a positive outlook which will be beneficial to both of you. There are a lot of restrictions when hospice steps in. You are in my thoughts and prayers. We are here for you my friend.

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back