Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
As you have or will see in the In Memoriam thread our dear friend Ms. pie has died. Sadly it seems that her end was hastened by a bad fall from her chair. She survived surgery only to pass away quickly in the hospital. It serves to remind us all. Falls can kill us! If they do not kill us outright they can hasten progression and add disability on top of our disease. Please please please everyone be careful. We are at risk at all stages even in your chair if your torso is weak take extra care. I do not know exactly what happened to Marta but look at how you sit,transfer etc and try to minimize the risk

I can only say listen to Nikki!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I work this morning to see an email telling me of the loss of Mrs Pie. I cried, both for Marta, and with the memory of the risk taking my Chris engaged in both deliberately and just to 'show me', and the resulting falls and injuries he then had to deal with.

Chris had many falls, 2 of them serious and they destroyed so much quality of life for us both.

Please my friends and family here, using mobility aids and accepting help are NOT 'giving up' or 'giving in' to the disease, they are the best way to fight ALS and 'live with' it.

very timely thread… Sandy left for Colorado on Wednesday morning, I fell Wednesday evening, a simple fall where I just slid off the bed onto my ass. The problem was I couldn't get back Up. Ultimately I crawled to my desk got my cell phone call 911 and they came and picked me up. Totally embarrassing.

To make things worse, I left the cell phone in my office, went to sit in my brown recliner to watch television, dozed off, slid out of the recliner, and found myself on my ass again. I had just gotten out of the pool so I had no shirt on and had the drag myself across the file bare chested :-(. That took 3 1/2 hours. Call 911 again. Same people came. Double embarrassing. got the lecture on always keeping my cell phone in my pocket, yada yada yada…

Outside of embarrassing, every bone and muscle in my chest is killing me (serves me right, I know). But the moral of this to thread is real: (1) DON'T fall and (2) keep your cell phone charged and in your pocket.

no joking.

Nobody should ever be in a pool all alone either Max.

>Nobody should ever be in a pool all alone either Max.

:) what's left :)

Max, is a neighbor or friend checking in on you daily while she is gone?

no ... a couple of my engineering colleagues offered to swing by but ego made me defer. this may be my last time, though. too shaky. She's home tomorrow night and really deserved the break :).

she really is a keeper ...

Attachments

• DSC_7648.png
    DSC_7648.png
    797.8 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC_4317 (2).png
    DSC_4317 (2).png
    1 MB · Views: 319
  • DSC_0185 (7).png
    DSC_0185 (7).png
    985.9 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_2395.png
    IMG_2395.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 311
  • Copy of IMG_2940.png
    Copy of IMG_2940.png
    692.8 KB · Views: 354
  • Copy of IMG_1459.png
    Copy of IMG_1459.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 318
Oh Max!

What an awful way to learn something so important. Double embarrassment to get the same people picking you up off the floor twice! It is so fortunate you did not get seriously injured and could get the your phone, even if it took 3.5 hours the second time.

I so hope you have learned. It always strikes me then the difference when FTD is involved. Chris would so resist having anyone here if I was going out working for the day. He didn't want a 'babysitter'. He was 'mobile', but he was unsteady and having lots of small falls. He would NEVER carry his mobile on his person at home, would outright refuse to.

I would say, but what if you fell while I was out? He would say, I could fall any time, and I don't care, if I fall, I fall. If I break a hip, well I will be wheelchair bound soon anyway.

When he did start having falls where he couldn't get himself back up, the fear in his eyes when he was on the floor helpless was heartbreaking. The way he would start saying that he hated himself and would be better off dead was even worse.

Yet, once back up again, he would say that he was not going to be limited in what he could attempt to do and so the falls caused progressively graver injuries.

PALS please DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE FALLS.

>PALS please DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE FALLS.

Ditto that… I thought I would have a quick dip in the pool and found I couldn't get out. Another lesson learned. After about three hours I gave it one massive try and made it… Barely. No more trying stuff like that without Sandy being with me. :-(

Learned my lesson last March, had a fall that would have killed most men.
Wife said "Stay in your chair, or go to a nursing home. Your choice!"
It was the right call, we have enough to worry about.
Casey

25 stitches and some that should have been, but couldn't face the ER...they sneak up on you ,yes, be careful.
Luckily no broken bones bones....only one concussion.

BE CAREFUL

Here is a pic of my knee last time I had a bad fall....my elbows were almost as bad....went to the orthopedic doc for x-rays. There was a chunk of my patella free floating above my knee, and cracked my right elbow...it wasn't pretty!

Attachments

• KNEE.jpg
    KNEE.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 291
ARE YOU REFUSING TO START USING A CHAIR... its not worth falling, how well I know...I can count 12 times for me, none series so after 4 years I decided I better stay in a PWC...

>Wife said "Stay in your chair, or go to a nursing home. Your choice!"
It was the right call, we have enough to worry about.

Agreed!

>only one concussion

Yup me to, and a broken nose to boot that was last December:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back