12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Does suicide kill the pay out?

Yes, it definitely does. But, please don't talk like that. We care on here.

That's a big reason I haven't done it. Plus the fact it hurts everyone. My grandfather killed himself with a gun in his own garage. A few years later one of brother-in-laws committed suicide by cop.

You should check your policy. it is a common myth that life insurance does not pay in case of suicide, but most do--if the policy is at least 2 years old. I believe the myth is perpetuated by the industry itself.

You can however usually get a advanced death benefit of 75% if you have a terminal disease and one year or less to live. the other 25% is held by the insurance company until you pass. Oh, and they take a percentage out of it each month.

the advanced death benefit is very helpful for expensive care or keeping you from losing your home or bankrupting your family.

Suicide is very painful for the family to deal with afterwards. perhaps it is different if the loved one has a terminal illness. Dear bad balance, please talk with someone before you go that route. there is no turning back from it, and you still have life to live. we all love you here very much.

Well, I expect to get flak for this--but I'm going to answer the question asked.

Read the insurance policy. Usually there is a two year limit. After the 2nd year, the policy will pay out for suicide. But again, read the policy. I would also research state law by consulting a lawyer.

Most methods of suicide are unreliable. See LostAllHope.com.

Finally, there is the lasting and influential psychological effect upon children and others.

You might google the assisted suicide group in Switzerland and see if they can help.

While I agree this is your decision to make, I recommend doing a lot of thinking about it.

Bad Balance brings up a very VALID question......I challenge any of our forum membership (PALS) to deny that it has crossed their minds.
Anytime a man (or woman) dressed in a white lab coat, seated within spitting distance from you, gives you a death sentence....it sets your mind working on a doomsday scenario.
As we decline and lose our quality of life...relying on others, and losing our dignity........ I would be lying if I said that it did not cross my mind on a daily basis........ Fortunately I have 3 precious granddaughters that I adore, so much that my selfishness just can't do that to them...my legacy will hopefully not be defined by taking the easy way out.
Some days are harder than others....but knowing what lies ahead is brutal........

Praying for peace of your heart Bad Balance!

That has never entered my mind, as I told my doctor, the day after I did that they would find a cure. Plus, how would I explain that to the old man upstairs?

I remember the day my stepfather was told he had ALS. He was in the hospital and my sister in I were in the room. After the doctor left, he tried to stuff a washcloth down his throat. We were both horrified. He passed away 4 days later after refusing any intervention. I never grieved for him because I knew he was ready to go. That moment has never left my mind. Think of your loved ones.

Debbie

>Bad Balance brings up a very VALID question......I challenge any of our forum membership (PALS) to deny that it has crossed their minds.

I'm with Mark on this. I call it an exit strategy :)

I would also research state law ...

I am told that Colorado forbids _excluding_ suicide.
And yes, with my current, employer-supported "7x salary" payout I did give it consideration.

>And yes, with my current, employer-supported "7x salary" payout I did give it consideration.

hmmmm? you're HP, too right?

Before he got his feeding tube my husband asked the doctor if after getting his tube and he becomes totally dependent on it and if he decides not to use it anymore and the inevitable happens, if that will be considered suicide. The answer was no.

I appreciate the varied responses...and yes I care too

Before he got his feeding tube my husband asked the doctor if after getting his tube and he becomes totally dependent on it and if he decides not to use it anymore and the inevitable happens, if that will be considered suicide. The answer was no.

Ethically and morally (and according to the Catholic church), removing life-sustaining measures to allow nature to take its course is not suicide nor sinful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back