Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
FL
City
Orlando
A hypothetical question that needs a real discussion.

IF in fact a PALS was determined to have had Familial ALS instead of Sporadic ALS:

A) If FALS is discovered and documented in the deceased patient’s medical records, then couldn’t life insurance and health insurance companies adjust your premium radically upward or deny coverage altogether? (Let’s assume Republicans repeal ObamaCare if they become the ruling party.)

B) It seems that theoretically the VA could require repayment of tens of thousands of dollars of benefits, because FALS is not a service-connected disease. Thoughts?

GINA protects against discrimination for being gene positive for health insurance but not life. I do not think the health insurance scenario happens in gene positive breast cancer for example so I doubt the medical insurance would be an issue? No one will give you life insurance once you are known to be gene positive or at least not a policy you would want.
The VA question is tougher they can do what they want. But you can argue that military service brought out the FALS or brought it out earlier. My gene is supposedly not 100 percent penetrant. One of the things the genetic study I am looks at is military service so they at least wonder if it has an effect. But once the person is gone it would be tough to get money back from most people so would it be worth their while?

Since veterans are 2x suitable to ALS VA survivors and other familial incidents should be covered as are our vets.

Insurance is very helpful for the future secure purpose.

It is like investment which helps in meeting the future challenges.

I think that just as important as health and life is long term care insurance. I wonder if they could deny you coverage if you have a family history of ALS, even though you may not be showing any signs of it.

I did a test of the new government healthcare system, took out a 90% coverage policy for both Sandy (healthy) and myself (ALS), total $650 per month!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back