Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
I am going to post this, even though mmj is not legal in FL. Yet. I have a friend fighting cancer and she was recently interviewed by a local new agency and said that she was using mmj for her nausea and exhaustion. My husband contacted her and asked her to help him get some. she shared a little for him to try. He really liked the relaxed feeling in his body!

what she gave him was actual MMJ from out of state--the only thing he can get on his own is regular weed. someone made him cookies with some weed, and it was not same as the MMJ he had.

I am almost positive that MMJ will be legal in FL in November--it is on the ballot and supported by over 60% of the population. I wonder how long it will be until he can get a script for it? and how will his doc know what to prescribe? and where do you get it--Walgreens? :lol:

I guarantee you that if I had ALS or even cancer I would definitely be trying the stuff. It definitely can't hurt. I am at work now and am craving brownies and cookies. lol

Barbie it is legal now in Massachusetts. It was a ballot question in November of 2012. Here the implementation was I think in 6 months although there have been lots of delays in setting things up. I think people could get it shortly after the 6 month period. Not sure because no one I know needs it. ( I don't yet and my sister is out of state and blessedly none of my friends are fighting cancer just now). I know the physicians have to have a special license to prescribe ( and a lot of general practice ones do not want the hassle) there are special dispensaries and it is also possible to get a hardship permit to grow your own Each state does it their own way but think everywhere has a separate place from a regular pharmacy to go to.

In Michigan, it's legal with script. My ALS doc won't script for it but I know ALS docs who will so I could switch docs. Perhaps feel out your doc now as to whether they would write a script or not so you know. There are regulated facilities here that fill the scripts. Usually secured facilities, they offer cigarettes, brownies, tinctures, (various 'delivery' ways to get the MMJ - don't think they sell a 'Baggie' of it :). There are also private individuals who are regulated growers/sellers (there are restrictions on how much they can grow and sell). I've learned by word of mouth/references to know where to fill a script. Not sure how I would find this out otherwise. The pals i know who did get scripts say their docs write the script and don't discuss it - basically hand them a script and wash their hands of it. Not sure how long it would take for Florida to regulate growers/sellers.

The feds still outlaw it, so there's that.

Also, transporting across state lines is iffy.

But ask your doctor to research Epidiolex, a liquid which uses the CBD in cannibis to treat epilepsy in children. It is distributed by Bayer, I think.

Every other advanced country is using MMJ and extracts to treat neuro disorders. It's a shame that our legislatures refuse to listen to science.

Utah just legalized the oil form for children with seizure disorder.
I have a son that is a paraplegic with phantom pains (39 years old), he has used it for pain for a number of years.
I have mixed feelings about legalization....people who use it on a regular basis are not good drivers.. ..imagine being stoned and texting or having a cell phone conversation when driving! God help us!

so it sounds like we will be on our own for probably the next year.

Mark, I know what you mean about mixed feelings. it is so important as a medical substance, but complete legalization makes me nervous too. Oh there are so many pros and cons to that issue!

Every other advanced country is using MMJ and extracts to treat neuro disorders. It's a shame that our legislatures refuse to listen to science

Ha ha, what's new...

MMJ is legal here, is sold in private, well-advertised dispensaries, which will sell you the strain(s) you ask for from a menu, and/or advise you on selection, and soon there will be separate state-licensed shops selling taxed MJ for recreational purposes as well. Pot is common on the street and in back yards/decks. Don't look for it at Walgreens:)

Docs don't write for any specific form or strain; that's up to the patient. We don't have a legion of stoned drivers and no feds wander our streets looking for pot smokers/dealers, though I could certainly imagine concern about million-dollar interstate sales.

Depending on the laws in your state, it may or may not take a special license to rx (doesn't here; it is just a special form).
My husband has tried it for ALS, in capsule form, when he could still swallow pills. He did not do well with it so we marked it off the list. YMMV. There are many strains and routes of administration possible.

>Depending on the laws in your state

well here in the draconian state of Texas they either cut off your balls or genitalia which ever is applicable. despite evidence that pot can help us. just like our beloved FDA.

:-(

Other tan feeling relaxed, what is the benefit ?

....well I don't know for sure butt......I heard it makes you silly, and flippant, and really you just don't give a sh!t about anything except tater chips and chocolate chip cookies:shock:

>....well I don't know for sure butt......I heard it makes you silly, and flippant, and really you just don't give a sh!t about anything except tater chips and chocolate chip cookies

and fritos, twinkies, and The Moody Blues, Chuck Mangione, S & G, CSN&Y, Chicago, ... well that list is just too long ... and I never inhaled!

Check the ALS untangled website for clinical review of the benefits.

This is an email response I received from Raphael Mechoulam an Israeli scientist who is known as the "grandfather of cannabis" regarding the use of MMJ for ALS. He was the first to isolate THC in 1964 and has been studying the medicinal properties of cannabis ever since.

Dear xxxxxx,

Preclinical data indicate that cannabis has powerful antioxidative, anti-inflammatory, and neuroprotective effects. In an ALS mouse, this has translated to prolonged neuronal cell survival, delayed onset, and slower progression of the disease. Cannabis also has properties applicable to symptom management of ALS, including analgesia, muscle relaxation, bronchodilation, saliva reduction, appetite stimulation, and sleep induction. With respect to the treatment of ALS, from both a disease modifying and symptom management viewpoint, clinical trials with cannabis are the next logical step. Unfortunately there are no clinical trials so far.

Based on the currently available scientific data, it is reasonable to think that cannabis might significantly slow the progression of ALS, potentially extending life expectancy and substantially reducing the overall burden of the disease.

I believe that you need high CBD - as high as you can obtain. In schizophrenia doses of 800 mg/day were administered. THC levels are limited by the side effects - but it seems be valuable as individual patients claim that cannabis (which in most cases means high THC) helps them.

Regards
R. Mechoulam

Max, Florida is not far behind Texas...Bad balance, I don't see much benefit, but being relaxed is a very good thing for him. not helping him sleep though :( I have not noticed an up tick in his appetite but he is really only taking it in the evening after dinner when he is relaxing in front of the TV. and really not a whole lot, because he doesn't like being totally stoned. To me, he seems like someone who has had one or two drinks and is in a good relaxed mood. personally--I would go with the drinking! ( I love a delicious martini!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back