Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Salmon Arm
So we went to the Seattle VA for Tim to get the head array put on his chair, which meant he stayed in the hospital as he needs a hospital bed and lifts. It was a nightmare, and they almost managed to kill him. He usually stays on the rehab floor that deals with stroke, MS, and ALS patients, but obviously never ALS patients that are total care.
He was put in a 2 patient room, where the lift did not extend far enough past the bed to sling Tim while in the chair. We had to move the bed over, move his chair in place, lift him, move his chair out, push the bed back and lower him into it, all the while attached to his bipap machine with a 5 foot hose. I was exhausted from the drive but had to do this as they couldn't figure it out. I showed them the off, on, switch to both the bipap and the sip & puff, and thought they might be able to manage to get him into bed the first night after they got the proper mattress on his bed. I had just got into bed, and had taken a sleeping pill so I could sleep, as I don't sleep well in strange places. I got a phone call that Tim was panicking and calling for me. When I got there he was in a sweat, and said that they couldn't figure it out, so took his machines away from him to transfer, but couldn't work his chair to get it out of the way. I settled him into bed and waited for him to be asleep before I left. Next day came to find that the head bed had moved and he couldn't call for a nurse when his mask started to rub his face and hurt. He wasn't checked all night long and his room-mate was hard of hearing so didn't hear him when he asked for help.
Then yesterday morning I get a frantic knock on the door of my room saying that a nurse was there asking for me and that there was an emergency with my husband. We ran over and on the way she told me that she had tried to move his bi-pap for the transfer and unplugged it so it could reach. Of course that turned it off, and he couldn't breath past the mask. He turned blue, started begging for them not to let him die, and began to black out. She managed to get 3 other nurses and they ripped the mask off, and put him in the commode chair and put him on his sip and puff. Thankfully he was still conscious enough to make a seal on his mouth piece and get a breath. They didn't have an ambu-bag or anything there to resuscitate him. His NA who came to get me was crying and apologizing but I know that she is the only one that would even attempt to care for Tim. I got his into his chair, cleaned up, dressed packed everything and we loaded him into the van and came home. I will never leave him alone again.

Paulette

Horrible! Oh God how I dread Hayden getting sick and being in a hospital. Hated them before ALS, can't imagine now. He panics quite often anyway, can't imagine. So very sorry it went so wrong! Sad that you really can't trust anyone..

Sorry to hear you had such a horrifying experience.
Just more proof that the disease is so rare that even medical professionals don't know how to deal with it.
Even when my wife was in the ER, I never left her side. It takes quite a lot of effort, and you're doing it all right. Thanks.
I hope the head array works well. Keep us posted.

Paulette! what a nightmare! it only confirms as I said on another thread, there will come a time when I wont leave him!

Oh Paulette and Tim that is so horrific.

I could so identify with the story even though Chris never had bipap. It was the same in all the hospitals here - he couldn't speak so being left alone in a hospital was just impossible. As a CALS, trying to stay full time in a hospital with my husband, for me at least, was the most incredibly exhausting experience.

Is the head array set up and working?

What a nightmare, Paulette!

> I got his into his chair, cleaned up, dressed packed everything and we loaded him into the van and came home. I will never leave him alone again.

Glad you are home and Tim is safe. Tell him from all of us we are thinking of both of you ...

Max & Sandy

Paulette, so sorry to hear things were so bad. The only place I feel comfortable with leaving my pals is MUSC hospital. That's where his ALS clinic is located. Glad you're both home and hoping you can put that bad experience behind you. Y'all must be worn out. Both of you try to get some rest - I know you need it!

Debbie

>Y'all must be worn out

Ah, Debbie, you are learning Texan :)

I hate hospitals, so sorry you had to go through all that, I have had bad experiences but nothing like that, they could have killed him, I would never leave him alone either, my mom or my son is always with me.

Max - now you know I'm a Southern Belle from sunny South Carolina!

>Max - now you know I'm a Southern Belle from sunny South Carolina!

:) more on this later, but not to hijack Paulette's disaster ...

Paulette I agree hospitals are horrible places for Pals! The one time my husband was there--I could not leave his side for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Hospitals are not prepared for someone completely disabled.

hope the visit with Tim's son is great!
]

It is great to be back, and was so fun bringing Tim's son home from Seattle, to BC. He has never been in the mountains, and he was absolutely in awe! He refused to wear a seatbelt because he wanted to take pictures from different windows, and at times even stuck his head out of the sun roof. I have to clean all the windows on the inside now as he often had his face or hands on them.
We did get the head array and it is pretty cool, but again there is a learning curve, and then the fact that the muscles on the left side of his neck are going makes it hard to push to the left. The other really great thing is that the OT gave him some isotonic gloves to wear along with a compression sleeves, and since it decreases the swelling he is able to move his hands again. We didn't realize that the edema was actually decreasing their mobility, so it was quite exciting.
I am exhausted and have napped a bit today, but my son came over to celebrate mother's day today, and friends dropped in unexpectedly, so not too much rest there. We had a wonderful day though, and Tim had arranged a beautiful mother's day present that came today. I am so blessed, and am so grateful that he's home safe again. I will not be returning there again unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks everyone for the support and good wishes, it means sooooo much.
God Bless

Paulette

Ohhh Paulette, so sorry your trip became such a disaster!
I am feeling so bad for you both. Tim you must have been terrified! Paulette you are so terrific, again you turned lemons into lemonade.
Hugs
Linda

Paulette - I'm so sorry this was your experience. It is an exhausting disease on so many levels and then to have this occur just exacerbates it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back