Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
KY
City
Nicholasville
We're at the end of mom's battle. She hasn't had food since Saturday, or fluids since Sunday, and very little of each. She's been in bed since Monday. Breathing is a bit labored but we're doing Morphine & Ativan q4h. Urine output less than 75cc today. Family is coming in to say goodbye and we're just in a waiting game now. I was surprised to learn that one can go 7 - 14 days without food or water. I don't think mom will last that long if that is what takes her because her nutrition & hydration status were so poor before this weekend (No feeding tube). Just wondering how long some of your PALS lasted after PO intake ceased?

Kim I just wanted to let you know you and your family are in my prayers. Wishing you all peace and strength

Hi, Kim --

>We're at the end of mom's battle.

We are thinking of you ...

The color and clarity of the urine is a key marker. Once it turns brown and cloudy, the organs are breaking down.
That signaled the last few days for us.

Sad to hear all of that......I am sure your emotions are mixed. I watched my mom decline only two and a half years ago from esophageal cancer. She was on Hospice the last two months. I felt guilty after she passed, because I really think I prolonged her passing....I would sneak a chocolate shake into her room and spoon-feed it to her every day.
It was almost as if I was keeping her around for me....I knew when the end was near, that was very difficult.
Bless you and your mom....................

I would say that your mother's end is within 1-2 if that. Her kidneys have basically shut down, and we can not live long without fluids. It is really nice that you and your family are able to say goodbye. God Bless.

Paulette

Kim I am glad your family is surrounding you both with love and support

Thinking of you both, Kim.

Thinking about u and your family Kim.

Trina

We're at the end of mom's battle. She hasn't had food since Saturday, or fluids since Sunday, and very little of each. She's been in bed since Monday. Breathing is a bit labored but we're doing Morphine & Ativan q4h. Urine output less than 75cc today. Family is coming in to say goodbye and we're just in a waiting game now. I was surprised to learn that one can go 7 - 14 days without food or water. I don't think mom will last that long if that is what takes her because her nutrition & hydration status were so poor before this weekend (No feeding tube). Just wondering how long some of your PALS lasted after PO intake ceased?[I'm sorry I'm no help with your question. However, just wanted to say y'all are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless.]

Thinking of you at this difficult time. You are a wonderful daughter and sending you hugs.

Debbie

Kim,
Stay strong all our thoughts and prayers are with you. We are a community of love and support. I wish I could answer your question with better clarity each of us are so different in life and death. I think caregivers such as yourself are the most amazing people in the world. Please remember that

Patrick

Many people prolong it for themselves bigmark1954, no need for guilt. That's love: (

>Many people prolong it for themselves bigmark1954, no need for guilt. That's love: (

ditto that

I am so sorry to hear the news Kim. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. God bless you for being suck a loving daughter. I'm sure that is a great comfort to your mother. Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back