Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Yes this is ALS issue! I have to go there next month ( on Southwest if it makes a difference for terminals). How far is it to walk to ground transportation? Does anyone know? I am having some definite stamina issues generally and with my affected leg in particular. I don't want to ask for a wheelchair unless it is really REALLY necessary but I do not want to risk anything either

Thanks for any insight!

don't try to walk...have wheel chair waiting when you get off plane...what would you do if unable to walk the distance

Ditto. Ask for the wheelchair. Life is hard enough without making it harder on purpose.

Thank you you are right about erring on the side of caution. But at least now even on a bad day I could do a smallish airport. It may be different in a month. However if Ft Lauderdale is big with long walks,trams between terminals etc I would not try it today. Last year when I was well I had to change planes in Dulles. Felt like had to walk a couple of miles
My departure airport is small. I just don't know what the other end is like. I am going for a medical study. I don't want to be a wreck for my tests. I want to be whatever my normal is.

Atsugi and I cross posted. Thank you Mike as well. So 2 votes for don't be stupid and stubborn, something I swore I would not be! I really really hate this! But I am listening. Thanks guys!

I know that the Orlando airport has a golfcart that can take people from gate to gate. I Have seen elderly folks using it. not sure how it works--but you might ask the airline, or look online at the airport website for disabled services. you could possibly order that

Nikki, you know better than this. Save your strength, don't put yourself in risky situations! A fall and a broken bone could really screw up your test.

I don't understand people on the Forum who refuse to use canes--until they've fallen a couple of times and ended up with broken bones. Okay, yes, I do understand them--I guess I do refuse to use the powered carts at Publix--but that's because I have a cart to lean on, plus my cane. And, oh yeah, I laugh when my wife suggests a walker. (Now I'm really going to feel stupid if I fall and break something before I get the walker... but I don't need it yet.}

Anyway, be safe. Use a wheelchair. That's what they're for...

You guys are of course right. Though with my splint the chances of falling in my current condition are very small I think. It supports me really well. But I do get really tired and it is a long trip. I won't risk it. Dusty you be careful too!

The sw terminals aren't huge but often very crowded, baggage claim is a zoo...wheelchairs abound and folks give them room. Don't be crazy.

I fell and broke ribs, short of a year later I fell down our stairs and separated my shoulder blade. Then a stumble and fall in WalMart... people rushing to help, wanting to call 911, embarrassing. Mostly because I didn't want to be seen walking with a cane. Currently I own 4 of them. Now... I go nowhere without one. (Recently I went to a place where the parking lot is a considerable distance from the building and it's up hill. They have a shuttle cart that circles the grounds... I gave in for the first time and waited for the cart to come by. It's the much easier way.) Use whatever is available... it makes the rest of the day better. Improvise, adapt and overcome. And, the big one... accept. :)

Thank you again for wise advice. Thank you Mike for finding the map!

>I don't want to ask for a wheelchair unless it is really REALLY necessary

get the wheelchair -- don't be stubborn, proud, and stupid (like me :))!

My dad took some of the worst falls you could possibly imagine before he was diagnosed. He fell down my basement stairs landing on the concrete floor. (Our basement isn't finished) and another time he fell all the way down his basement steps. He fell outside our church at my son's confirmation while using a cane. I personally don't think canes are good enough to prevent a fall. Dad only walks now very short distances with his walker with someone holding firmly to his gait belt directly behind him. He was so lucky he never broke anything. But, he sure had some nasty bruises. Be careful!

Well, this is one post I won't read my wife. (I am in walker-denial.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back