Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
How long does one have to wait after filing for disability before receiving any payments?

They told me I would be approved in 2-3 weeks, but wouldn't get a check for 5 months...

The waiting period before you start getting a check is months. ALS is considered a TERA case and you get special approvals.

Your case should be fast-tracked due to your ALS diagnosis under the Compassionate Allowances program. This means that your case should be decided within a couple of weeks. However, if you are applying for SSDI benefits, you can't collect benefits until five months after the onset of your disability. With SSI, there is no waiting period.

If you’re applying for Social Security disability benefits based on your ALS, the SSA will review your medical records, and will want to see a specific ALS diagnosis. They will also look for findings that support this diagnosis, including:
a history of your symptoms
neurological findings that are consistent with an ALS diagnosis
the results of electrophysical and neuroimaging tests that rule out other conditions, and
electromyography or nerve conduction studies (these are helpful if they support your diagnosis, but are not a requirement).

To apply for disability benefits, call the Social Security Administration’s at (800) 772-1213. Depending on your preference, they will make an appointment for you to complete an application either via telephone or at your local SSA office. You can also apply for SSDI benefits online at The United States Social Security Administration.

If you are approved for SSDI benefits based on ALS, your eligibility for Medicare should start right away (rather than be subject to a two-year waiting period).

The waiting period before you start getting a check is months. ALS is considered a TERA case and you get special approvals.

Special approvals for the check or just on getting the approval?

I believe that it starts six months from when you stop working.

5 months after documented diagnosis. I was diagnosed 12/13 and Medicare and social security disability start June 1.

5 months after documented diagnosis. I was diagnosed 12/13 and Medicare and social security disability start June 1.

yes, but you don't receive that 1st check until the next month.... F-ed every way they can think of.
though you will get medicare at the same time and don't have to wait the 24 months everyone else does

but we just got a lift chair and medicare is supposed to re-emburse us $350 of the cost of the chair. We tried to call and follow up on it. Eventually got a live person on the phone that told us that peticular department does not have a # you can call for claims, the only way to do follow up is through the mail! WTF? :shock:

The woman said that I would get medicare immediately upon approval of disability. How do I provide for my family for the 5 month waiting period for a check?

I'm so sorry Rob. It is really awful to have to worry about money when you are fighting for your life. There is program in Georgia called Temporary Assistance for Needy Families. You have to have children under 18 which I believe you do The other part is being "poor". That is the part that may be hard. But you should look into the social assistance programs to see if there is anything. They should be there for people like you who suddenly through no fault of their own are in need

Thanks guys. We are looking into TANF and food stamps. My kids have already been approved for Medicaid, even though I am still employed.

Does anyone know how long SSI takes? I saw above that there is no waiting period, but regarding the government, how long is that?

Rob, do you have disability insurance through your job. If so you can use that for income while waiting for your SSDI. You can even continue to draw the London term insurance after you get SSDI. Just need a doc excuse to start it.

I have long term disability, but it takes 2 months to kixk in. If I go on the company disability I'll lose pay checks through July and only get 60%

You must stop working in order to be approved for Ssdi. You cannot be employed to be approved. You can receive sick pay, vacation pay, or is ability from your employer - but no wages. There's a 5 month waiting period to get ssdi pay, but then you wait another month to get your 1st check as Ssdi is paid in arrears.

There's a 5 month waiting period to get ssdi pay, but then you wait another month to get your 1st check as Ssdi is paid in arrears.

Does that mean they back pay the five month waiting period?

Rob, no on that one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back