10/2013
Country
Ca
State
On
City
Barrie
Hello All,

Just wondering what kinds of technology pals are using? My pal has his appt may 9th for electric wc with all the bells and whistles. Also said they would discuss communication aides then. Wondering if anyone has any tips, tricks, warnings for us..

Thanks!

I'm using pwc, bipap, nebulizer, and an iPad with type to speak. Would suggest trying out different pwc's. Make sure bipap is adjusted properly for him. Depending on his ability to use his hands, there are several speech apps available, try several to see which he likes best. Believe that there are also some available for those with limited or no use of hands, possibly eye gaze devices

No hand use what so ever sadly..ans speech very slurred. Will apps still pick up what your saying even with the distortion?

With hands not usable, and speech going, you should focus your clinic time on an eyegaze device. I say this even if you might end up using something else in reality before going to eyegaze. But get it now so you can submit the whole thing to insurance once, and you will have it to practice now before it's the only option. But if your insurance leaves alot of out-of-pocket expense that may not be feasible.

The two main devices insurance covers are the Dynavox Vmax+ and the Tobii devices (either C or I series).

If you don't go the insurance coverage path, let us know and we can chime in with information on different options.

One thing that needs some more validation is restrictions on the insurance covered devices. It used to be insurance paid all up front. And what you got was a restricted device with no internet or access to Windows. Then you could pay around $50 once to upgrade your device to remove restrictions. But there was a recent thread that said insurance moved to a 13 month rent-to-own and the device has to be restricted the entire 13 months. Perhaps you can ask at your clinic.

That is unbelievably true Brian. My husband has no arm use and bad voice too Tiny. he didn't really like the eye gaze, and has ok control of his head. so he uses a Smart Nav which uses infared technology and an onboard key board. he is internet crazy and really fast on it. His new chair is going to have leg switches so he can use his knees to move the chair (he can move his legs slightly) right now, he uses his shoulder to move the hand joystick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back