Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Saw the PT lady at Emory yesterday. Getting a Quantum PWC.

al so a portable Hoyer lift and coughassist.

FVC is down 8 points to 80% and FRS down to 26 from 38. This is over about 4 months.

Progression sucks

>Progression sucks

ditto that!

Agreed, hang in there

That does suck. Disliked getting into my pwc those first few times, but it gives me so much freedom back. Hang in there.

it does suck Afraid!

Still, use that equipment so that you can free up your energy for what is most important to you.

Mich - that's just what the pwc should do, I'm glad you persisted even if it was hard to adjust/accept at first

Saw the PT lady at Emory yesterday. Getting a Quantum PWC.

If you have any plans to use BiPAP or a ventilator, Quantum is a bad choice. All of their models have a large housing and bars and hardware on the back if they are equipped with the recline feature. This forces the mounting of a BiPAP machine or a ventilator to be high on the back of the seat and extending the chair by several inches. Power chairs are difficult enough in small spaces and size does matter. Compare. Go with a Permobil or other chair that doesn't have a full trunk already. Click the image to view larger

Diane
ALS: From Both Sides

Attachments

• wc size.jpg
    wc size.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 361
If you have any plans to use BiPAP or a ventilator, Quantum is a bad choice. All of their models have a large housing and bars and hardware on the back if they are equipped with the recline feature. This forces the mounting of a BiPAP machine or a ventilator to be high on the back of the seat and extending the chair by several inches. Power chairs are difficult enough in small spaces and size does matter. Compare. Go with a Permobil or other chair that doesn't have a full trunk already. Click the image to view larger

Diane
ALS: From Both Sides

The permobil didn't work well with my arms nor was the seat comfortable. I really didn't like the permobil at all

We have a quantum (over 1 year now) and my pals is very comfortable. Had to do pressure mapping at first, he leaves the quad roho in open position so air flows throughout , leans back, i pull him up while leaning back so his tush does not touch the seat, there's an attendant control if we ever need me to 'drive' and it's sturdy! He has 900 miles on it!

You'll save lots of energy! However, still sorry! I know it's not easy!

I've been in my pwc a year now, and I would swear I'm actually doing better!

>Progression sucks

ditto that!

Amen!

But don't get hung up on the FRS numbers. You can still be quite "functional" and generally happy as it goes down. My FRS is 3 and still going! So take it for what it is... just a number. :mrgreen:

Silly question.. do you all have wheelchair accessible vehicles for longer distance travelling and if not, how do you manage?

Right now I have a carrier on the back of my van, takes a lot of effort to go any place. Paper has been started by the va doc to get modifications done. The carrier is only a temporary measure, if the weather is nasty your pretty much stuck where your at

We have a van. But, of course, they're big money. Several pALS I know rent handicap vans for long weekends and schedule appointments and visiting over the 4 days. Usually a couple hundred for a rental - but much cheaper than purchasing van.

we sold both cars added the children's inheritance to it and bought a braun converted van, no regrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back