Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I've recently developed cold feet, tightness around my eyes, numb thumb, tingling toes. Any one else have similar progression symptoms?

tingling toes MIGHT be start of neuropathy....I have it in both feet...separate issue from ALS

Annie had cold feet due to reduced peripheral circulation as a result of the atrophy of her leg muscles. I think that's typical of PALS who have significant atrophy of the lower leg muscles. She also experienced parasthesia in her feet.

Ice cold feet on my husband and foot swelling.

lack of circulation from atrophy and sitting all the time.

Ice cold feet here too, even in summer they are cold and last year for the first time ever he developed chill blains, so get your toes checked for that as they can cause tingling and even pain.

For my PALS they didn't explain why as his circulation was fine. He has always actually had colder feet than me, and warmer hands.

Now his feet are ice and his hands are like bread out of an oven!

We get swelling in the hands, ankles and feet now that he is barely mobile and that needs attention all the time.

we have found that wrapping his feet with ace bandages strting at the toes tighter and getting less snug as we wrap up to the ankle, keeps the feet from swelling. We always wrap feet when he is going to be spending any time sitting up right in his manual wheelchair. This works much like compression socks with out the struggle to get those darn socks on!
foot/leg massage helps move thatblood along as well
he lives with a lap blanket and a small electric heater at his side, and an electric heat lap blanket on truely cold/chilly days

thanks for that tip SMP, I think I will try bandaging if he will let me ...

Same here. Pals is always cold now. Has a blanket on him at all times and I'm sweating. Swelling in left foot only. I do ROM everyday but the swelling continues. I'm going to try bandaging. Thanks for the tip. Like Tillie, if he will let me.

Debbie

My ankles and calves swell once in a while, due to circulation problems if I sit to much for a few days.
Compression knee high socks work well for this, I will wear them during the day and take off at night...seems to control the issue.

Debbie and Tillie, you just have to be sure to wrap at the toes snuggly and slowly less snug as you go up the foot.
Oddly he thinks it feels good when I wrap them put is just as pleased to get them unwrapped in a couple/few hours

I also better be sure to set an alert on my phone, and wake him if he is asleep!

I've made the mistake before of doing some positional thing he didn't really want, then to have him go into a very sound sleep ...

Then wake, of course when I am out of ear shot, and I come in to a distressed, angry man who seems to think I left him there too long on purpose!

The other day this happened, I kept checking on him every 15 mins or so, and gardening, he didn't wake to me speaking to him, and sheesh don't you let sleeping dogs lie?
Well the pharmacy kindly were delivering some stuff to me, and I realise I can hear this voice, and come around the front to find this lady standing at the door to the lounge room (my PALS room) and calling out 'hellllloooooooo' for all she is worth. I explain my husband was asleep and thank her prolifically when I realise who she is and off she goes abashed. I come in that door, letting it just bang, certain he is awake, and no he is still sound asleep.

Man, 10 minutes later when he woke though .... uh oh, I had left him in that position too long and I had hell to pay!

Rock and hard place!

So yeah, I will just wake that sleeping dog next time

gotta just love that - your post has gone to moderation message ...

stay tuned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back