Disproportionate incidents of ALS in Canada and Texas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxEidswick

Legendary member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
Seems like there's a lot of members of this forum living in Texas and Western Canada. Do we have any demographic statistics on a forum participants?

I think that there is a cluster in the Upper Midwest. I recently heard of three people living on the same street in a small ND town that all had ALS.

Rick

>I think that there is a cluster in the Upper Midwest. I recently heard of three people living on the same street in a small ND town that all had ALS.

Well, being from Colorado, I suppose blaming Texas for my ALS is a bit unfair. Still, something has to be to blame! :)

I was born raised and live in Colo. I would blaming Texas :) lol

>I was born raised and live in Colo. I would blaming Texas

just jealous! no mountains, so never know where we are :). missing home ... got caught in High Park fire ...

Attachments

• DSC_9886-2.jpg
    DSC_9886-2.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 477
  • PICT0078.jpg
    PICT0078.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 417
I'm German wouldn't think there are areas and regions were ALS acculumates.

Now I have to wonder if ALS doesn't have some relationship to political affiliation....

Max, your home in Colorado was beautiful. I know the risks of fire, as we have had two large fires in my area where many homes were lost. During the last fire, they set up the fire barrier just behind our cedar home, and evacuated the hospital. My family and I lived in our travel trailer across town, and I had to man the hospital, in case of any emergencies , even though it was empty, talk about creepy. I could watch the fire raging just behind our home, but then the winds shifted and the fire was blown back on its self. Tim loves living in the mountains, and wants our property to look very natural, rather than manicured. We just put in a water feature, with logs, river rock, and moss. Just waiting for the last bit of landscaping to be done.

Mediasmart: The political affiliations couldn't be more opposite when it comes to BC & Texas, so I had to chuckle at the comment.

Must be in the water...drinking and recreational ...

You must be stoned....lol

>Now I have to wonder if ALS doesn't have some relationship to political affiliation....

LOL. One wonders which way :)

>I'm German wouldn't think there are areas and regions were ALS acculumates

Well we lived 5 years in Munich, so maybe we can blame it on DE :)

Hi, Paulette --

>Max, your home in Colorado was beautiful.

Thanks, our time there is greatly missed and there is nothing like mountain living and friendships!

>I know the risks of fire, as we have had two large fires in my area where many homes were lost. During the last fire, they set up the fire barrier just behind our cedar home, and evacuated the hospital. My family and I lived in our travel trailer across town, and I had to man the hospital, in case of any emergencies , even though it was empty, talk about creepy. I could watch the fire raging just behind our home, but then the winds shifted and the fire was blown back on its self.

It was pretty bad watching the fire come and come and come ... don't mess with Mother Nature! The fire crossed the Poudre Canyon wall at 5:02 PM on the 22nd. 4% humidity and 45 MPH winds. 20 minutes later, 1 1/2 mile by 8 miles ash. Even our wedding crystal melted!

>Tim loves living in the mountains, and wants our property to look very natural

We miss it, but the fire left its mark

>Mediasmart: The political affiliations couldn't be more opposite when it comes to BC & Texas, so I had to chuckle at the comment.

Me too! :)

When we were evacuated I told the kids they could bring 2 of their most treasured possessions with us, and to my amazement my 16 year old rugby playing son brought his old stuffed Papa Smurf, who's beard was completely gone as my son use to rub it between his thumbs while he sucked his thumb. I was so touched, I told him he could go and get one other thing. It is those trying times that the true personality shows. My oldest son is a big tough looking paramedic with a marshmallow heart.
Thankfully the fire stopped just before the fire line.

I remember visiting my sister across the valley, watching the fire. We were not to worried as their property which was 140 acres had burned in the fire 20 years previously, so there was all new growth. But slowly it dawned on me that the smoke was blowing towards my home which we could see, and then watched the fire hop to that side of the valley. I left my kids at my sisters, and drove home to get my dog, my mother who lived a mile from my house and important papers. By the next day we evacuated as the winds continued so we moved into our travel trailer across town. Forest fires can be fickle and in the end old wooden buildings remained untouched and new homes, in the middle of open fields burned. I don't believe there was any loss of livestock as people from all over the community and surrounding communities brought in trailer and moved them, and if they couldn't fences were opened to allow them to escape.
Each area has their natural disasters, and plans in place to deal with it, but there will always be loss of life and property which is sad, but it is those times that really bring out our humanity.
Paulette

Hi. Paulette --

>When we were evacuated I told the kids they could bring 2 of their most treasured possessions with us, and to my amazement my 16 year old rugby playing son brought his old stuffed Papa Smurf ... It is those trying times that the true personality shows. My oldest son is a big tough looking paramedic with a marshmallow heart.

:)

>Each area has their natural disasters, and plans in place to deal with it, but there will always be loss of life and property which is sad, but it is those times that really bring out our humanity

I would not have understood before the fire, evacuation, and the experience -- but I do now.

I guess even the ALS enriches our lives in ways that are hard to understand.

That is me, sitting with the Aussie hat, watching the fire on day 2 ...

Attachments

• DSC_0852-2.jpg
    DSC_0852-2.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 415
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back