Diagnosis
10/2012
Country
US
State
Anywhere
City
Gotham
If you are a veteran and getting your care from the VA, or plan on getting it there, feel free to contact me if you have a question or concern. I may be able to help.

Hi, I am and am trying to understand benefits for PWCs and vans ...

Max

My husband got his power wheelchair while he was still using a walker, but the silly thing is that he had to wait until he could no longer stand on his own before he qualified for his van. We asked them how he was suppose to transport his power wheelchair, say to the mall with out a van, but that seemed a bit too difficult for them to figure out. So got his PWC March/12 and his mobility van at the end of April/13, but he was progressing quite quickly. He has had several upgrades to his wheelchair since then, and is now waiting for a head array, but unfortunately they can't get the parts until mid April. I was able to be talked through attaching a microswitch to his chair so that he just has to push a button, very lightly, to change which part of the chair he wanted to move, or to change back into go mode. I have so far done alterations on this chair 3 times, and figure I am just about ready to be one of their techs.

Max,

Power Mobility: Is it Time for Wheels? - Multiple Sclerosis Centers of Excellence

There is a person(s) within physical therapy who got me a PWC. If you haven't, I strongly suggest you keep in contact with your assigned social worker. He/she can assist you with getting the benefits, help and services you are entitled to have with ALS. I cannot advise you about a van since where I am I have paratransit and I'm not far from a large VA hospital. I still get in/out of my SUV to occasionally go somewhere, but I don't drive any longer. Hope this helps a little.

Hi, I am and am trying to understand benefits for PWCs and vans ...

Max

You are eligible for both. I too am a vet and have received both.

The Denver VA went all out for me on these. I believe that you have to meet some basic mobility issues, which in my case were met by the combination of ALS and left foot drop.

If you are not yet working with DAV or PVA, contact them _now_.

More offline.

Max, I do not recommend the DAV. I don't know about the PVA. The DAV here in Winston Salem NC is about one click above useless. They only thing they know for sure is when their next convention is and what hotel they'll be staying at. I had to have them removed from a claim in writing to the VA. Everything went smooth after that. Just my experience.

PS. And... I'm a Life member of the DAV. For what it's worth.

Hi Greg, nice meeting you online fellow HP'er that you are! Wish we were still in Colorado :)… As we say "we have moved from heaven to Houston" :)

hi Al – – the PVA here in Texas has been fantastic (at least so far :))

give the PVA a shot ...

The PVA out of Winston Salem has been spectacular for my husband.

My PVA rep has been nothing short of excellent! I don't q

Post went to mod...I accidentally hit enter

My PVA rep just had my SMC increased, but I'm not quite eligible for a PWC just yet. I don't want to say on here what rating I am, but anyone feel free to private message me.
I recommend PVA all the way!

I have PVA and they work well for me.

We used two PVA reps. When the first one didn't have the answer, we called the national office and a second PVA rep explained how to get the SMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back