Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
KY
City
Nicholasville
We're down the the last round of feeding/fluid options for mom. She didn't want a PEG. She is in late stages, and in the past week or so her bulbar muscles have gotten significantly weaker to the point that most food/fluids we try to feed her roll right back out. She is getting very little fluids. I know the end is near as her eating/fluids are soon going to diminish to nothing because she simply can't keep food/fluids in her mouth.

Any suggestions? We spoon or syringe liquids in. Tried the straw trick but it didn't work either. Some food she can keep in, but the liquids are nearly impossible.

Kim

At this stage, we very carefully used a syringe to feed Coca Cola to my PALS.

My PALS also refused a PEG and we respected that without question. Perhaps your PALS will take an IV line for fluids.

Water rolls right out with the syringe too. She just can't keep the fluids or food from rolling back out.

Have you had the conversation on if she wants to continue the feelings? My dad said once he can't suck thru his straw to not feed him anymore. He's very close and I just ordered one way straws on amazon to hopefully stave off the inevitable. Prayers for you.

I know there is something they use in nursing homes, for folks that are choking hazards, that thickens fluids so they don't asparate them. Might that help? I am sure a quick call to any facility would get you the name of the stuff.

So sorry you are having these problems. It is very frustrating and heartbreaking. Nestlie Nutrition has a thickening product called Resource ThickenUp, it is tastless but definitely thickens the water. There is a desired consistency chart on the back. Hopefully this does the trick for you.
Hugs
Linda

you can buy thick -it at Walgreen on the shelf. try it out--cant hurt.

hang in there Kim! hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back