Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
UK
State
LOTHIAN
City
Tranent
We are taking my father back to Israel in May for stem cell treatment, the hospital is The CTCI Centre in Tel Aviv and this is the 2nd time we have visited for treatment.
Does anyone have any relatives with ALS who have had stem cell treatment, I would be interested to know what there results were.
I know the treatment is not a guaranteed fix but what id does is give my father hope.
Please let me know your stories if any.

I think this is the same as the IIb study running at Mayo now and it sounds more promising than the others I have found. I am starting the Fingolimod trial next week -- hope I don't get the placebo :).

Max

BTW I think there is someone here in these forums doing the Mayo one now ...

>I am not sure what the llb study is ?

me either. It may be an FDA ranking of a studies stage. I'll try to look it up when Comcast fixes out cable issue.

Hi Max,

Let us know how it goes and if you are getting a positive response from it.

Rick

It is phase 2 B. The clinical trials are phases One,two three.essentially, One is safety 2 looks more at efficacy and 3 is efficacy and dose adjustments

I believe the Israeli study is using stem cells that are grown from your own marrow and slightly modified in the growth process to yield a specific type of cell.
Their name for these is NurOwn. Their Phase II B study is scheduled to begin in the U.S. in the next few months.
Do a search for BrainStorm and/or NurOwn and you will find everything you want.
I think that the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN will be involved in this and they are also involved in a different one which is going on now.
I have heard that BrainStorm pulled a bit of a fast one with their "Cured Rabbi" concerning whether he was on his meds for Myesthenia Gravis (which he also has).
Try the website patientslikeme.com and you can find a guy who is in the current Mayo trial.

The OP is not referencing brainstorm but another group. I believe they are doing bone marrow transplants for multiple illnesses and this commercial not a clinical trial

The process in Israel might be slightly different from the U.S, they have taken bone marrow from my wife and they grow it in a lab for 12 weeks. The stem cell with the healthy bone marrow is inserted back into my father via his spine, this will be his 2nd session of treatment.
It is very expensive but it gives him hope.

hello.My wife had steamcell trearment Jan.and we have not yet seen any positive results.the treatment was done in Mexico.We had a friend that had the treatment for his hip and it seems to have helped him.The USA can do this treatment with the fatty tissue of the patient.

What I am really interested in is if anyone with ALS has had stem cell treatment which has had a positive affect, this is the 2nd time we have visited Israel and after the 1st time I have not seen any positive change in my father.
As I said in my previous thread the treatment costs alot of money ( approx $ 35,000 ) but it gives hope which is important for someone with this terrible disease.

Can aynone confirm if they have had or heard of anyone visiting Israel for stem cell treatment.

I just got finished watching the MDA Family videocast from Chicago and the message there about stem cell therapy is that if it did more than just show promise it would be available in the US. Dr. Simpson said that she asked her ALS patients 3 question--1 How will this affect you personally?, 2. How will it affect you financially? and I can not remember the third question. I am assuming that you had some discussions with your neurologist about this if not I would strongly advise that you do so.

Rick

Rick,

Financially it costs $32,000 plus flights and accomodation, results from previous patients is that it has helped patients in the past.
This is accoring to the CTCI website, have a look at patient stories on their website

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you know the website stories are telling the truth?

I must agree that if it was really working, we would be hearing about it!

Ask to contact at least 6 of the success story people from that website and speak with them personally about their success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back