Loved one DX
Country
US
State
TX
City
Saginaw
Hi,
I am new to the forum. My uncle is scheduled to see a neurologist, but we are thinking the diagnosis may be ALS.
I was just wondering if anyone had had a similar experience, we are trying to cope but are beside ourselves at the moment.
He has had numbness in hands and vertigo for only a week now, but Saturday, began having slurred speech which has gotten increasingly worse the past few days. He went to the ER thinking he was having an allergic reaction to shellfish, but the steroids they gave him did nothing. CT scan revealed no stroke. today he saw an ENT who told him his soft palate is not functioning. He sounds like he has cleft palate when he speaks. She is referring him to a neurologist and says the issue is definitely neurological. He told me today he's also had some numbness in his left leg. Can anyone shed some light?
This is a very scary time and everything we have read is pointing to ALS, but especially the palate failure.

Everyone is different, I have PBP and it actually started with my left foot dragging and bad balance...evolved into nasally and slurred speech. I had no numbness in my legs, but noticed my hands would be numb when I slept...as soon as I moved them and stretched them it went away.
My advice is to get an EMG test scheduled ASAP, that is the best way to know, along with other symptoms.
Good luck.........

Kasey--I know you are scared, but he does not have a diagnosis of ALS yet. Believe me, there are many other things that it could be and that is what the neurologist will test for.

If I understood your post--his symptoms just started last week. That alone makes ALS less likely. Also, numbness is not a symptom of ALS. The internet is not the place to get a diagnosis. As hard as it is, try to be positive and upbeat. don't try to decide what he has before you see the neuro. Get that appointment as soon as possible and go with an open mind. do not go in and say we think he has ALS and try to fit his symptoms to this disease--let the doctor earn his pay! they will have to do an exam, an EMG and a nerve conduction test before they can give him a diagnosis of ALS.

I hope things work out for you and your uncle! keep us informed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back