Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
mo
City
nixa
February marks four years since being diagnosed with ALS. Came on this website January 2011. Been taken to the wood shed several times, plus being called dumb, stupid, and cruel. Told there is nothing you can do to slow progression, you can only play the cards dealt. Changed game to five card draw. Year one dealt five cards, year two looked at hand, pair of tens and trash, discarded three, drew three new cards, year three looked at card number three, ANOTHER TEN, king on top, year four looking at card number four. What do you know another king. Full house so maybe there are things you can do to extend life expectancy. Can still walk (with walker), talk, eat, breath all on my own. Able to transfer from PWC to walker and back, walk to and from bathroom, able to get in bed, adjust covers, and turn over. Doing Eastern Medicine since day one, does it work, can't prove it, does it not work, can't prove it. Some believe, some don't. Glad to see several newly diagnosed PALS doing things that they believe are extending life expectancy. Having met several PALS these last four years have concluded there are warriors and super warriors. Believe warriors are doing things to necessarily survive, super warriors are not only doing things to survive but additionally doing things that extend life expectancy. Wish everyone continued success.

You are a super duper warrior. No doubt about it.

I am sincerely elated that you still do the myriad of things, which for so many of us, are but faint memories. Does thinking out of the mainstream box work? Maybe! Just look at you!

Here's to scores of more years for you, Pearshoot. May your poker chip stack grow taller with each new hand the ALS deck sends your way!

Interesting after reading the start of this thread that when I look at my left hand and arm an cringe I also make sure I look at my right hand (still going fairly strong) and figure that this is a 50:50 proposition and we get to chose which side we want to be on (up to a point in time anyway). My kids called today just to say hello. My wife went to the gym in good spirits with her buddy, fire in the fireplace and I can still make a damn good martini.

I'll just keep looking at my right hand. THANKS Pearshoot for keeping our gazes focused in the right direction...not to mix metaphors but your post was a peach.

Dear Pearshoot,

I think you are a great guy and think you are doing a great job of fighting and living life and not backing down-- You are an excellent example of someone who never gives up and has had good success with beating ALS. I hope you don't feel I was someone who was mean to you. I am not sure you can change the course of ALS and it affects everyone differently (slow progression, fast progression, bulbar, FTD, legs first, arms first) but I think anything that you can do to fight and slow it down is a good thing!

I always feel sad when I see your posts because you always mention that members here were mean to you. I remember the incident only because you mention it every time you post and so I know it upset you greatly. If I remember correctly, at the time it was a post on alternatives and ways to extend life and I think you took offense and disagreed at some members saying there was no way to stop ALS and you need to accept it. (I am paraphrasing so don't quote me). I Don't remember anyone calling you dumb, stupid or cruel as you are definitely not any of those things and it is unacceptable to call names, but I know it was a lively debate.

Pearshoot, I wish that you can forgive the members you fought with and move forward--you know everyone has bad days and sometimes either jumps the gun on what they say or how they say it, or sometimes misunderstand what is being said. you are such a smart guy and have so much to offer here! I believe and think, that most others also believe that it is important to have many different view points for newly diagnosed to look at. Whenever someone asks about alternative treatments I always think of you. Please let the grudge go and share your wisdom--so many good people here on this forum have worked hard to make it an informative and safe place to share for both pals and cals.

Please join in again and share the knowledge you have! so many newly diagnosed and they are so afraid!

your forum friend,

Thanks for an encouraging message. I'm inspired to be a warrior like you!

Totally great that you progression is so slow. I hope that you have many more years like the past 4 years.

Rick

Pearshoot
You are the man and I share your mentality. ALSFRS - those are the rules of this game, the longer one fights to keep their score high, the longer you will live. I tell people that I have turned into a caveman, my goals are to continue to breathe, eat and walk. The longer we do that the longer we live. Keep fighting and never give up, ever.

the only thing we can do is create a healthy body...the body has ability to heal certain things and fight others...you must do everything in your power to create the healthy body...diet, exercise, give up known bad habits, reduce stress, remain active...Western medicine offers nothing, Eastern medicine offers hope...latch on to something you believe in and ride it to the very end.

Glad to see you posting pearshoot!

I always loved your attitude, especially as I watch my PALS with ftd involvement. I have found that talking to some of the amazing PALS here has really lifted my spirit so many times.

4 years in, many more to go!

Pearshoot,
I always look at who starts a thread, before reading it. When I saw it was you, I was intrigued, when I read your post, I was inspired.
Keep doing whatever you are doing,
Cheers,
Casey

Thanks, Super Warrior, for the inspiring words. Spoken like a trooper. Like you, four years into the unwanted journey but luckily still able to walk, talk, eat, and sleep. Perhaps something favorably to do with the Bavarian beer consumed during the fifties? ? (was stationed at Landsberg, just a few clicks south of you at Augsburg).

>Western medicine offers nothing, Eastern medicine offers hope..

what Eastern medicine?

Eastern Medicine believes in body healing through the immune system.....this is done with vitamins, supplements, homeopathic medicines, and tea.....I do a zyto test every 60-90 days to determine what my body needs and over the last four years I have used 30-40 different supplements and homeopathic medicines....it does no stop or reverse ALS but I strongly believe it extents life expectancy. Remember many medicines are derived from plants...Western Medicine reproduces this natural benefit chemically, so the question is, would you rather take in the natural form or as a chemical....Have no idea of prescriptions PALS take to help them with various problems....I don't take any.....It all comes down to, some believe and some don't.....Western doctors call it voodoo medicine, but Eastern Medicine is several hundred years older than Western Medicine.

pearshoot, keep up the good work playing those cards. Its encouraging to see a pal staying on top of their immune system in the manner that you are describing. I am actually studying for a very important professional license exam, but I ordered a ppv movie called Dallas Buyers Club earlier this week. The first act of which was a terminally ill man's discovery that vitamins and nutrition were the key to extending his life. In any event, I applaud you and I will keep you in my prayers. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back