Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Springfield
Hi everyone my name is Brian and I am new to this forum. My mother passed away from ALS in 2005, ever since then it has been in the back of my head that someday I will get it. I mean no disrespect to anyone on this forum and if this comment offends anyone I am truly sorry for that. That is not my intention. I just wanted to say that some of the stuff that I read on here has put my mind at ease a little bit. As most of you know when you "google" ALS a lot of scary stuff comes up. So I would like to thank each and everyone of you on here for helping me calm down. I do have 1 question though. Is there a test to find out if I will get ALS one day, and if so should I do it? Thank you for your time.

Hi Brian
I am very sorry about your mom.

If your mom is your only relative with ALS you should not worry about yourself. 90 to 95 percent of ALS is sporadic, meaning it happens randomly.

Familial ( genetic) ALS is rare and involves multiple family members. In my lifetime I have lost 4 people to our gene and my sister has ALS now. If you do not have that kind of history relax and only think about ALS when it comes to donating for research and support!

Hi Brian,
I believe that you could get a genetic test done and that might identify or not one of the gene mutations that cause ALS. The one thing that I do know about genetic testing is that it is fairly expensive and at least my insurance would not pay for the test.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back