Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
KY
City
Nicholasville
I think mom is rapidly approaching the end. Now she is having trouble breathing when laying down. Last night she even had trouble sitting in the recliner. Last week we thought she might have aspirated but no temp and no coughing so I guess she didn't aspirate. We got accepted into Hospice last Friday and have Ativan & Morphine on hand. The nurse hasn't been by this week but is supposed to come today.

So for the last two nights my dad has gotten very little sleep as he is watching/caring for mom. I've got a little-I work so I can't be up all night. Mom doesn't want a bipap. We have oxygen but last night dad couldn't get it to work and didn't wake me up despite telling me this morning "I thought she was going to die last night". I am going to ask hospice to bring in a hospital bed so the head can be elevated.

Any suggestions on making her more comfortable at night and allowing for some rest for the family?

I think the end is near for her and it would be a blessing. She is so miserable and so pitiful.

Kim

My mom could not stand the Bipap (but used it), she was on oxygen as much as we could get her to do it. About 2 weeks prior to her passing, she was on it all the time. 4 days before she passed away, she had enough, no more bipap, no more oxygen, no more cough assist, she just pushed it all away.
We had a foam pillow for her that was shaped like a triangle, we also had an air mattress used on top of her bed for added comfort. This was not a regular air mattress, but added extra cushion.

I am really sorry you are going through this. Be strong for your mom. Love her and make sure she knows it, and your dad too. This is going to be very, very hard on him. I think my dad thought we had more time, much more time. We didn't. It goes quick near the end. Hospice was very comforting and there for us. They will guide you and be there for you. God Bless you, your mom and you dad.

Hospice can provide morphine for air hunger. That might increase her comfort. Definitely the hospital bed should help. She may find it easiest to position it like a chair (head up, bed tilted, feet elevated).

My adjustable bed made a huge difference in my comfort at night. I hate my bipap, and the adjustable bed Made it unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back