Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
KY
City
Nicholasville
Yesterday my mother got choked pretty bad at lunch. I was not there but my dad & the private duty nurse aid both don't feel like she coughed up the food particle. Of course I have no way to know whether she aspirated or not. She was ok this morning but I would guess it's a little early to be feeling bad if she did aspirate. I called her primary physician wanting to get some "pre-emptive" antibiotics just in case but they don't want to do that. They want her to come in for a CXR. It is extremely difficult to get mom anywhere, plus the temp outside is single digits and we don't really want to take her out. So we are just waiting, I guess, to see if anything happens.

Generally speaking, how long would it take to know is aspiration pneumonia is setting in?

Can the physican order a portable x-ray? If she is on hospice they will order one. Keep check on her oxygen level (02), temp & watch for coughing. Those are signs of pneumonia caused by aspiration. If she shows any of those signs get her medical treatment immediately so they can start IV antibiotics.

Good advice, I would also add that if she can move around and/ or be sitting up and changing positions, that she would have less of a chance developing the pneumonia. My husband has aspirated more times than I can count, but we have been lucky and he has not developed any infection from it.
Mary

Mary, how do you tell when they actually aspirate? Forgive me, I'm a little new, but since his voice is getting so weak, I'm supposed to be watching out for this, and I'm unsure how to tell. I haven't seen him choke on food, but sometimes liquids will make him cough, but to tell if it actual gets in the lungs, is the question. Thank you

Sissy I will tell what it is like with my PALS.

He will make an awful inhaling noise, his eyes go wide, a panic expression comes over his face, and it is obvious he can't get a breath in properly. The noise and inability to breathe in properly can go on for a minute or two (which seems like half an hour at the time), and then will start to cough a little, which may cause the whole inhaling bit again.

He has learned that the most important thing is to try not to panic as this only constricts the airways even more and increases the risk of further aspiration.

It is not something you can miss. I hope that helps.

We have also been lucky that we have not had any chest infections or pneumonias!

Thank you Tillie, that really helps. Prayers to ya! Stay warm, very cold weather coming your way!

I am sorry that I had not answered sooner, I don't go on the site as much as I would like to. My PALS aspiration is a little more subtle, so it is harder to pick out. He may cough a little, but it doesn't last for long. The hardest thing about watching for aspiration is that the infection is later because whatever it was got in the lungs and caused an infection. I was always told to be aware of the breath having a sweetly, sickly, grape smell about it at the beginning of the infection. You can also get use to listening what his lungs sound like and the difference between normal and a bit crackly.
Now that my PALS has a trach, when his lungs are being suctioned, I can tell he aspirated by the food that is coming back up in the suction catheter.
We have also been lucky and have not had any pneumonia or any lung infections.
Take care,
Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back