Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Ottawa
What are others using as a hands free device. I am quickly losing use of my hands and want to know how others are managing phone communication? Which devices? Experiences?

look on line for internet phones you can use on your computer. My husband had one for a while. I think it was called goo gle voice, but I could be wrong.

Ameriphone RC200 Remote Control phone was provided free of charge by Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing. As part of providing communication access mobility limitations are also a consideration. you can find help in some unusual places, try your local deaf assistance program. Additionally the VTECH cordless land lines usually have a speakerphone function.

Not sure if you still have speech? If so, you could consider mobile devices and apps like Facetime and Skype, or Skype on a PC or Mac. You could control the desktop using one of the Dictate apps and/or an alternative mouse. Google Voice is another telephony app, but doesn't have video. The Hangout app has that, though.

I still have my speech and I am currently using cordless speaker phone. I am alone during the day as husband works. My left hand is shot and right is almost gone. I currently use a android tablet. So I need a device that can be set up before husband goes to work but is hands free for when both hands no longer operated. As I am home alone, I take all my calls from various agencies, doctors, individuals associated with my illness and I coordinate all the administration of my health care. Skype maywork but II am trying to avoid losing my land line number as it would be an administrative nightmare to give give all these individuals a new contract number.

Rick, I will check out your link.

Check out "able-phone" . I found it on google. Made specifically for folks like us - or so it seems.

my husband likes the internet based because his hands don't work either. we had one of the free deaf phones but not much good if you can't use your hands. He has a smart Nav so he can operate his mouse and a online keyboard with an infrared sensor and a reflective dot on his baseball cap (could be on the bridge of glasses or the forehead too) He has a typing program called Dasher that the mouse "flies" thru the alphabet and he can pick letters very quickly--and it has letter and word prediction . he can type faster now than before ALS. He and I text and use yahoo messenger all day so we stay in touch while I am at work. He is not alone any more, but when he was it gave him a life line and me peace of mind.

I wonder if you could port your land line number over to an internet carrier or if you could have the calls forwarded during the day when you are not able to answer the regular phone?

Yes, most phone carriers, and all VOIP plans, have a forwarding capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back