Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I've been back in the States for about 2 weeks. It has been much colder than I have been living (30 - 60 compared to 85 -100).

I've been much weaker since I got home and cramping more frequently. Does anyone else find that temperature fluctuations affect them?

Its a good question. I opine that most of us don't have huge swings in temperature unless we are traveling. Its 15 degrees outside so pls forgive me if i don't run outside and check.

I have not noticed any differences. I drink a liter of tonic water(sugar free type) almost every day and a teaspoon of French's mustard(as recommended by my Neurologist) and have seen cramping greatly reduced. We have swings of temp -24 to 36 degrees F.

Rick

Tim finds that if he gets cold he starts losing what little control he has left. He stopped getting muscle spasms a while back when he lost the use of his limbs Tonic water is indeed very helpful, I use it for restless leg symptoms.
Interestingly, while I was doing mission work in Liberia Africa all of my stiffness and joint problems went completely away. Normally I am in agony if I sleep in a strange bed, there I was fine after spending the night sleeping directly on a concrete floor. It could have been a God thing, but I also believe that it was the climate.

My husband is great affected by the temperature--he definitely feels it more and it slows him down. we stay indoors in the winter unless necessary to go outside and then he is bundled up. we also keep our house warmer than I would like, but the needs it. Luckily in FL, we don't have a lot of cold weather!

I go outside - for a very short time - in and out of van and I'm guaranteed a long a painful night of very ouchy leg spasms. The cold, in my opinion, is the worse for me.

The cold definitely affects my pals. Stiffens up and has spasms .

definitely the cold has affected my PALS from his earliest symptoms, causing a lot of extra weakness and stiffness

Cold makes me as stiff as a fence post, I can only slide my feet. turn on bun warmer in car and shortly can move and walk when I get out until I get cold again. only been out couple times in last 3 weeks

The colder weather has definitely always affected my pals also. He has always declined over the winter months and seems to stabilize during the warmer months.

I am the tin man in the cold.

Thanks guys :). Makes me happy to know I'm not experiencing abnormally rapid progression

i was at the skating rink watching my grand daughters for a couple hours yesterday in 25 degree weather. At the end of the time, I was so stiff thast I felt made of wood. I grew up in N. Michigan in the cold and it never has bothered me. Yesterday was horrible and today I am exhausted.

I'm not saying there is a definite cause and effect but yesterday was an eye opener.

Cold makes me weak...I still have good use of my right hand, but when it's bitterly cold out, I can't even turn the key in the ignition.

It actually takes a few hours for my strength to recover. I don't have too many cramps ever...but spasticity does occur and cold seems to increase those as well.

For me it's better to stay in on cold days...

Lesson of the story - STAY WARM ! I think the best thing that we used for my husband was a hand warmer. It was the kind of thing that you put your hand both in, sort of like football players in cold weather.
We also will often heat up socks or blankets in the dryer for a few minutes. That gets him warm really fast.
Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back