Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Beaumont
Dad is home on hospice from his brain bleed and his head is better but his muscles are killing him. Is this normal? It is killing me that the morphine isn't working. They've added Methadone to his treatment plan but we are to scared to try it. I just want to take his pain away. It's slowly killing me.

That is the one thing I was not prepared for - the pain. I must have skipped over that chapter in the ALS information we were given. My husband is in constant pain in his palms. He asks for Lortab often. At first I was afraid to give it to him because of the side effects and possible addiction. After I reevaluated my thought process, I changed my mind. So what! I don't want him to suffer......as he use to say "it is what it is".

Dad has charlie horses all up his legs and I rub Ben gay on them and just the touch hurts him. I wanted to massage them out but I can barely touch him. It's horrible. I hate this disease

I just finished heated up tube socks filled with raw rice for his palms. I rub his palms with Thera-Gesic (similar to Ben Gay) and put the socks in his hand for him to hold. Does help with the pain but not too long. Not sure what to do for the legs but if I hear of anything I will let you know. I have one word for ALS "Heartbreaking". You're a wonderful daughter.

If they are spasms you need the muscle relaxer. I used tizanidine because in addition to being a good muscle relaxant it dries out the oral secretions. Be proactive with your doctors. We are the ones that know best. Good luck

if it is due to the spasticity which it sounds like it could be then try the methadone at the lowest dose prescribed.

Watching my PALS pain and refusing meds until bed at night really disturbs me.

I agree with hjlindley, even though I take 100 mg a day of baclofen its the tizanidine that will help the charley horses in your father. I get them all the time and its only the tizanidine that helps. Ask his dr to write script for zanaflex, that's generic name is tizinadine. I'm quite sure this will help your father. It does me anyway.
Betty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back