Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Beaumont
My dad fell on Friday and developed a subdural hematoma and was in the hospital for 5 days. He lost so much strength that I fear it won't come back. He is having PT and Home Health coming in but he's gone from needing some assistance to a 158lb floppy baby. It's heartbreaking and he's already progressing so quickly that I'm worried he's now in overdrive.

His breathing stats are about 60% and with him not going on a PEG or vent I'm so worried about our time left. Anyone have experience with regaining strength after a serious injury?

many people think that injuries lead to a speed up in progression. there is nothing you can do about it now, but try to help him rest and recuperate. The PT and home health care may help--he needs to keep a good attitude. Try not to worry about the time left--spend time with him and do what he can now. Did he decide not to get a peg or vent? he can still get a bipap which in not invasive but will make him more comfortable.

For his sake, try to keep up beat and don't let him know your fears. remember, we all got a death sentence the moment we were born--and no on knows when our time is up. He is lucky to have you!

hang in there

so sorry tx daddys girl, these falls are so awful!

I have found and many people have said to me that recovery from injuries is slower, and progression speeds up. The muscles are already dying, so injury to them does not heal.

When my husband was in hospital this week after his fall they elected not even to do a head CT scan and I agreed. If it had shown a brain bleed, we couldn't do anything about it anyway. I felt that for both of us we were better coming home and if there was a slow bleed and he passed away it was better than them keeping him in hospital to just die.

No good decisions I'm afraid in this one.

If your dad has his full faculties just enjoy with him what time you have, short or long as best you can. You will never regret doing that.

hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back