Is there any diet that can help against progress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antologia

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
NE
State
ZH
City
Amsterdam
I'm not diagnosed yet, but I'm trying to find as much info as I can for the moment I might get a diagnose.

So I'm wondering: is there anything you can do to not progress so fast? I read something about bright colored fruit and vegetables. Like pumpkin and tomato's? Is that true?

Are there other things you can eat or better not eat?

Are there people with ALS here that live longer then others, maybe because of some diet or other things?

I don't believe there is any conclusive evidence on way or the other.

Check on the Deanna Protocol. Some folks believe it works others don't. It is currently, at best, anecdotal.

People tell me all the time that taking coconut oil will not only stop/slow the progression, but reverse it back to the shape you were in on the day you were diagnosed.

I doubt you believe that.

I sure don't.

I haven't taken any medications, experimental drugs, vitamins, herbs, or other concoctions to slow the ALS. Nor have I tried any special diet, acupuncture, wet cell, chelation, brain implant, dental filling removal, therapeutic touch, meditation, yoga, prayer, massage, exercise regime, or other “treatments.” The result? Twenty eight years since a diagnosis of probable ALS, about twenty since the diagnosis was upgraded to ALS. The reason for slow progression is pure luck. A healthy diet can certainly prevent the addition of other problems that can shorten your life but diet has no proven effect on the ALS itself.

The Deanna Protocol is not a diet or food of any kind but rather things that we can not get from food, but many of us on the DP choose a Paleo type diet. We avoid grains because they are inflammatory and avoid processed foods because of MSG, we already suffer from glutamate toxicity so it makes no sense to poison our brains with more glutamate.

Coconut oil provides more ketones, helps maintain weight and avoid constipation problems and massaged into muscles it is readily absorbed into cells.

Nothing mentioned is a cure, just tools to fight back with if one is so inclined.....

Paleo is a good way to go regardless of any illness you may, or God willing, don't have. Smart eating choices. :)

How much coconut oil per day is a good idea?

The trickiest part is HOW do you know if anything you did, ate or swallowed slowed or sped up progression since every individual progresses differently and not in a linear fashion?

I think anything you do that you feel is helping, do it, but if anything truly did slow or stop progression, let alone cure ALS everyone would be fine now.

My mother has just recently been diagnosed, and she was eating a spoonful of coconut oil for months before her diagnosis. Her ALS seems to be progressing very quickly. So, while I love the other health benefits of coconut oil, I don't think it's helpful with this particular disease. Maybe it works for some people though, you never know!

so sorry for your mothers diagnosis misschrissy

I would still say however that we don't know if it has made any impact on her speed of progression as we don't know if she would have progressed even faster. Doesn't mean it might not benefit her of course.

There does seem to be some agreement that PALS need a high calorie diet and fats like dairy products can really help keep the calorie count up, lots of people here with recipes.

Definitely when PALS lose too much weight they do seem to progress faster and have more complications such as pressure are sores and ulcers. They also become malnourished and dehydrated if they can't eat well due to swallowing issues, so packing in high nutrition in the early stages and even putting on extra weight certainly is likely to help.

I eat like a horse now trying to maintain or gain weight.

I did a total body cleanse about 3 years ago and dropped 100 pounds, now I sort of wish I still had the extra baggage....

A&A, don't you think that that cleanse showed what you are mainly made up of?

Sorry I don't buy into the fact its completely the luck of the draw, yes some do nothing and live long lives. I have never met one. If you feel your progression is fast I think you can play five card draw and change some cards. Yes I do Eastern Medicine, some supplements, exercise, good diet, maintain weight and follow the three rules; belief, hope and pma. All I can suggest is look up FLAVOROIDS, specific fruits and veggies high in anti-toxin fighting qualities.

Sorry I don't buy into the fact its completely the luck of the draw, yes some do nothing and live long lives. I have never met one. If you feel your progression is fast I think you can play five card draw and change some cards. Yes I do Eastern Medicine, some supplements, exercise, good diet, maintain weight and follow the three rules; belief, hope and pma. All I can suggest is look up FLAVOROIDS, specific fruits and veggies high in anti-toxin fighting qualities.

@pearshoot
I'm not sure if that is in answer to what I wrote or not. If it is, I didn't actually meant it is completely luck of the draw. I'm just saying that we don't know why some progress fast and some slow, and we don't quite know if anything we do is the reason for a faster or slower progression. That's why I said that if something works for you DO IT. But if a person asks is there a diet that can help against progress, then I have to say that is no proven regime that will do this. If there was many, many people would be on it.

Anything I'm writing is just my opinion and me musing on questions, what others throw in and the experience I am watching, so I'm just throwing it out there, and I could be more wrong than anyone.

I actually totally applaud and respect PALS like you who research and make choices and stick to a regime. My PALS just seems to chop and change, get good ideas then not follow them up or through, and find excuses as to why he doesn't take proactive steps. His progression is rather rapid, but I don't let myself get caught believing that if he had done this or that differently he may have slowed it down, because I honestly don't know. I have known PALS to progress much faster than even he is.

Today a health professional actually confronted him using the word starvation several times and put him on some scales and proved to him how low his weight is. It is hard for me to have to sit calmly and listen to a professional explaining to him things I have tried to say for much of this whole year.

If only there was some dietary regime that could be proven to have a large beneficial impact for everyone ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back