Loved one DX
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hi All,

I've been a lurker for several months now - finally posting for the first time. (by the way, thank you to Al, who must've noticed me around from time to time and sent a kind welcoming note to me at one point. It was so startling and kind, like a hand coming out of the dark - but I guess I just wasn't ready to 'go public' yet).

I'm a baby poster here so I'll start small. My husband is 47 - went through a lengthy and harrowing (mis)diagnosis process like many of you - but finally got a diagnosis at the UIC Neuromuscular Clinic in Chicago, where we've been going since last August. With his symptoms gradually moving from speech and swallowing to muscle weakness and fatigue, we realize that it's time for him to start easing out of his worklife. We love Chicago, but we've decided to start the process of selling our house and moving to Toledo OH to be near his parents. We need the support and they need the time with him (his only sibling died last year). But we want to make sure we can still get the same quality of medical care that we get here. I see that there are 2 ALS clinics just over the border in Michigan - one in Ann Arbor and one in Detroit. Has anybody had experiences with either one? What about the one in Columbus? That one's a much longer drive from Toledo, but anybody have input on any of them?

Thanks!

Hi Jill. Glad you finally came out of the closet and into the light so to speak. Hope you get the information you need.
AL.

Last edited:
We are very happy with the ALS Clinic in at Cleveland Clinic. There is someone else in our town (midway between Toledo and Cleveland) who goes to an ALS Clinic at University Hospital in Cleveland and participates in studies.

Wish I could help more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back