Almost uncontrollable urge to stretch my legs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeprechaunSean

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
01/2011
Country
CA
State
British Columbia
City
Vancouver
Ok so I am almost 3 years from onset of symptoms, currently classified as "probable ALS" by my neuro at the ALS clinic, and for the past few months I've been experiencing something new - an almost uncontrollable urge to stretch my legs first thing in the morning, and sometimes when I have sat for awhile. I've been reading up and I'm wondering - is this spasticity? maybe some descriptions of spasticity from people that have it would help...thanks!

Cramps, spasticity, spasms.... People have different interpretations.

I describe my spasms as charlie horses ... These 'dead of night' spasms can occur anywhere on my body, lasting mere seconds to a few days. No amount of stretching helps. (Me) Earlier on, I stretched my pegs everyday whilst in a hot shower. Seemed to help.

Spasticity for me is when my leg and thigh (primarily) muscles are so stiff, I walk like Frankenstein. Cannot flex or even lift my feet too far off the ground - my gait is more like a very stiff shuffle. Feels as though muscles and ligaments are about to snap. Sitting for extended periods causes this stiffness also. Stretching is good, but for me, it's not always sufficient to get any sort of relief or flexibility. I use heat which sometimes helps.

My belly painful spasms are most often provoked by laughter ( so those are worth it!:razz::razz:) and bring a new meaning to "I laughed so hard... I cried"

Last edited:
When I do "stretch" them, they go completely straight, and I have to stand there until it passes. So far I have had almost no "charlie horses" in my legs at all - although I get them pretty much everywhere else...

So... I would call that spasticity.

But frankly, I'm confused by the terms used to describe pain!

Btw - nice pic. Sean.

Since the onset of symptons and all the stuff that took me to probably, the stuff of late is what you describe. I know what restless leg syndrome is and also the shallow breathing "kicks" to take a deep breath. This isn't any of that. I can't control it. My happen just before bedtime and linger for half an hour or so....it looks like I'm getting electroshock...doesn't hurt other than the mild discomfort in the feeling when it is going on.

My ALS clinic says for some it is part of it but thre sensation is so subjective that there are no words to describe it accurately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back