Diagnosis
01/2007
Country
US
State
FL
City
orlando
Hey everyone-- I think my husband has a cavity :( (actually a couple that I saw). I want to take care of it--don't want it to become severe . the problem (one of many) is his mouth only opens about an inch and he has lots of saliva and cough/choking and spasticity. Any suggestions? The tooth in question is a molar about half way back on the bottom. Would a muscle relaxant allow his mouth to be opened wider-- or would it still be impossible because it has been so long and the jaw joint may be frozen?

Does anyone have any experience with this? I haven't even told him what I saw in his mouth--he will get all worked up and I want to have answers before telling him. Ignoring it is not an option since he is slow progressing-- he hasn't been to the dentist since he was diagnosed in 2007 other than one checkup when he has jaw pain from clenching. that was very difficult for the dentist and they didn't do any work--just looked around.

I just don't know how they will be able to drill out a tooth and fill it in the condition he is in....:confused:

I bet the dentist could help. Maybe nitrous would help him relax enough to open wide. The scuker would take care of any saliva issues :)

you might check with the alsa rep to see if they can recommend one

I have had TM joint problems my entire life, so opening my mouth widely is difficult, and usually causes spasms. My dentist has a spreader that he puts in so that I don't have to hold it open, and I just concentrate on relaxing. The saliva thing shouldn't be a problem, as suction is always available. Tim had several fillings done a couple of months ago, and he stayed in his own chair. I bet that the dentist could even do a block to relax his jaw. Call around to the different dentists and ask their opinion.

I haven't gone to the dentist since my diagnosis but my wife talked to them about me. They said they don't lean a person like me back, use more mirrors, very gentle cleaning or drilling if a cavity.
Also, they would use a device that holds my mouth open as wide as it would go.

Maybe all dentists are ready to deal with PALS, at least it sounds like mine is.

Good luck and let us know how your visit goes!

we have an appt. on nov. 14--maybe they made the it for so long away because they are hoping we will go somewhere else...

anyway, will let you all know what happens!

Hey Barbie, it sounds like we are in the same boat, check out my thread for CALS, my Dentist is coming for a house visit on Friday to give me an opinion, but he seems to be leaning towards a hospital visit if extraction is necessary, Will let you know the outcome, hopefully I am wrong and all it will be is a filling or two. Have not let my husband know what is going on in his mouth either, he would stress over it constantly, probably dream about it:)

hey pat--yes I saw your post! I wish I could get a house visit! My daughter looked in his mouth and blabbed about the dentist visit (she is a dental assistant) so he knows now. but, she said I was crazy and the cavity I saw was an old amalgam filling that was discolored! but, she did point out a couple of other spots close to the front and cracked tooth.

this all started because he has a killer cold sore in his mouth. he cant eat and his whole mouth hurts. I have that under control--lots of extra brushing and some mouth rinse just for cold sores. he has such bad spasticity in his jaw that his teeth have shifted and it is really tough to keep his mouth clean.

I am trying to avoid an extraction--that would be a nightmare!

makes me sad--my husband always was so picky about keeping his teeth nice and clean before ALS. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back