Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I had my first physio yesterday. The exercises were VERY basic (lift arms while lying down, lift legs, different positions 10 reps).

When I got home I could barely type. Today very sore and very weak.

I just read in another thread that some folks are still running and biking. I envy them!

I am debating whether or not to get a recumbant bike to ride while watching tv.

Any thoughts?

Is there any way that you could swim? Way less stressful on the joints, and I have heard from one gentleman that he feels almost normal when he is in the pool. Tim and I had thought about a recumbent bike, but with all the activity of selling and building a new house, it was delayed. Tim was walking a bit with a walker up until May, but now is considered a partial quad. He tried one back in Oct/12 but had difficulty keeping his feet on the peddles. Are weakest in your arms or your legs?

my PALS considered pool therapy instead of physiotherapy, but with his bulbar effects he has found that chlorine really effects his ability to breathe comfortably. such a shame as a pool would be good for him.

we have a large spa tub, and we switched to an enzyme system in it instead of chlorine. he was reaching the point of not being able to sit in it, but this has solved that issue. next issue coming soon is going to be getting him in and out of the tub.

when in it, I try to encourage him to do some ROM and it's amazing how much more movement he can manage under water.

My issues are, currently, worse with my arms. My legs are noticably weaker but I am still ambulatory.

I'm almost afraid to swim now. My fear is getting in and out of the pool.

Sorry the physio was like that. Unfortunately most pts are not experienced with ALS and since it is very rare where you are you are likely the first ALS patient they have met? The conventional wisdom is not to attempt to strengthen compromised muscles and concentrate on rom for those areas. I was looking for an online resource for you and happened on something I had not seen before it is a guide to living with ALS on the m da si te. There is a chapter on exercise and some other good info. If you have not already read it search m da living with ALS. The whole exercise thing is controversial. Some PALS seem to do ok with it but others say pushing it hastens progression....

yes getting in and out of the pool is a problem.

I realise I didn't state myself clearly in my last post (well I actually often read posts I've made days later and think, did I write that so unclearly? lol).

We already have difficulty getting my husband in and out of the spa, and he has fallen in a couple of times, and once he fell getting out but I did catch him so that he only kind of half fell and slid gracefully to the ground.

Now I'm vigilant with helping him in and out but it is becoming more and more difficult as he is having real issues lifting his legs high enough, so our spa days may well be limited now.

How much longer until you are back in the US now? I so often think of you when I'm doing little things for my PALS, and how much harder it is for you being alone there.

I don't know when I will be back to stay. Coming at Christmas :)

Try the recumbent bike, start slow and try to slowly increase the time and resistance. Drink lots of “ade” and do not dehydrate. Hopefully over time you will get stronger.

I bailed on going to physio yesterday.

I can do the exercises they have for me myself.

I need to talk with my doc, but he is on vacation.

I think I need more ROM, but those are hard for me to do.

can't the physio do ROM for you?

She doesn't seem to know much about ALS. I want my doc to be specific with her. For the time being, I am using the wall and my body weight to stretch and push my limbs.

I suspect I look pretty goofy :)

You did your physiotherapy which is probably the first round with little bit exercise, well it's better for you to have a piece of advice from your physiotherapist before you engage in all sorts of activities. I did get treatment in Physiotherapy and they advised me to stick on to the exercise program they suggested me. After getting a convincing result you can try out biking and all sorts of adventure activities. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back