Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Gatos
Hello,

I am an OT student at San Jose State University and am looking to learn more about ALS. I would really like the opportunity to discuss life with ALS with someone who is willing and open. Please let me know if you would be interested in sharing your experience with both myself and a classmate of mine.

Thank you in advance,
Pete

I'll share.

My wife was diagnosed in March of 2011 with a SLIGHT speech problem.

The journey from then to now was ............

speech and swallowing.........progressively worse with a feeding peg installed in September of 2011 ( before she really needed it )
She progressed from 1/4 nutrients via feeding peg to 1/2 to 100% as of November 2012

limbs--------she went from cane (June 2011)
--------------walker October 2011
-------------wheelchair May 2012
-------------bedridden 24/7 as of July 2013

hands.......full use of hands up until October of 2012 at which time she could not even operate mouse on computer or use ipad.

Anything else, I will be glad to share.

As her caregiver, the hardest part was constantly adapting to change.
What worked the week before no longer works now.

change....adapt.........................................change..adapt........................change ..adapt

Yankee Pete,
there is another thread about members taking a chill pill. In that thread. It is noted that there are more honest discussions in support groups. You and your instructor might inquire at your local ALSA chapter about attending one of these meetings rather than relying on the exaggerated tales and overstated opinions of strangers on the Internet.

Joe.............I can assure you NOTHING I posted to poster Pete was an "exaggerated tale "

Pete... the local ALSA support group meets monthly at Good Sam. Contact Kim Venezia there and I'm sure she can point you in the right direction.

I don't always agree with Bowser's statements. But, I don't feel there is anything wrong or inappropriate about his post. He told the truth about his own experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back