Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I'm finding it increasingly difficult to get dressed each day. Buttoning my shirt takes not only a lot longer than it used to, but I'm exhausted after only two or three buttons. I have to sit in a chair and use the arm rests to support my arms so I can get all the buttons done up.

I won't even go into tucking my shirt into my pants. That is another tiring adventure.

How many others have this issue? How long, once you were diagnosed, did it take to manifest? How long after you noticed these types of issues did it take before you couldn't dress yourself?

I don't know 'how long it took' because I changed the types clothes I wore. When buttons were hard, I stopped struggling and switched to pull-on shirts. When zippers were hard, I switched to pull-on pants. When pull-on pants were hard, I went up a size so the waistbands were looser to pull up. Pals I know have been able to continue to dress for quite a while by changing the types of clothing they wear.

Are you still living out of the country by yourself? You just don't knowhow fast or slow things will move.

Yep still out of the country. Planning on being back by Christmas :)

>I won't even go into tucking my shirt into my pants. That is another tiring adventure.

I know how you feel. I hate getting cramps in my arms just trying to tuck the back of my shirt in. wrong start to the day :-(.

What country are you in? we have lived in Saudi, Germany, Switzerland, England, and the US (Michigan, Colorado, Indiana, California, and now Texas). :)

Currently in the UAE. My home is in Georgia :D

I use a button hook for buttons on shirts and pants. Small jewelry pliers for zipper. I don't wear things that zip in the back. Also, all my shirts are pull on.

I got some great capris that are Westbound petites. They are pull on and are designed to look like dress pants/jeans. We have a Dillard's store here.

Tying my tennis shoes is really hard. My fingers are so clumsy. I can still move them but they don't seem to connect with the picture I have of what they should do.

Tracy

Hey Tex -

Do you actually still play tennis? :confused: Or is it a case of like me wearing good old fashioned Canadian running shoes?

I'm thinking a guy living in the UAE wouldn't dare wear capris. :oops: Especially petite capris. Not even to watch camel races, except if the race is on the beach in which case, that'd be ok! :cool:

Sorry (not) everyone! I'm a bit punchy tonight.:shock:

giggle--I was imagining a guy in petite capris too. but seriously, the gist is you have to change things up to make it work for you. My husband wears boxers ...of course he is in a PWC full time. I have hear some guys here joking about wearing kilts.

Be glad you are a guy--bras are very hard to negotiate on and off...

that's what they call sneakers in the South, tennis shoes.

I switched to loafers for work so I don't have to tie my shoes. I can still tie them, but it is much easier if I don't have to. I also switched to sneakers instead of sandals for casual wear. I only wear the sneaks once or twice a week.

Capris woildn't go over well for me here :)

Takes longer and longer, eh? I have to plan an hour.

Try some nylon-synthetic blend REI type pants...easier. Lay it all out in order.

I got rid of buttons 4 years ago. If I have anything that buttons, my husband buttons it and I slip it on over my head. Perhaps housekeeping in your hotel or someone can do that. In terms of talking in a shirt put on the shirt 1st pull it down and then put the pants on over it. Best I can do for good ideas. Remember to sit down to put on your shoes, and if appropriate polos would work. Sounds like you progressing slow enough that you should be okay by the time you get home at Christmas. I was diagnosed in 2009 at mine did start in my hands. We got married 4 years ago and because of my build my suit had to be built. I told her not lots of buttons, but the tailor insisted that that's what I needed so my best friend had to button me into my wedding suit. Good luck. One of the nice things about being a woman is I can switch to Lycra and stretch clothing more easily are professionally dressed man.
H

Looking back, it seems that my wife and I were in a constant " change and adapt" mode.

As soon as I got real proficient in taking car of her, " change" was just around the corner.

Hi. My symptoms started in my legs, so the first help needed was in putting on pants. I used a reacher for a while, but now just need help, even with pull-ons. Can still do buttons, zipper, but cramp sometimes reaching back. Not fun having to need help so much.
The pull on shirts would be great if you could get away with that. It's great that you will be getting home soon, and getting more help and support.
I wish you all the best.
Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back