Not open for further replies.

mikedavid

Country
US
State
az
City
phoenix
My husband may have ALS.. and he is having hernia (groin) surgery on friday i would like him to cancel it as he has diffiucluty walking and i really am worried he wont be able to walk the hernia is not painful . so why is it necessary.. if anyone knows or has an opinion please reply... i want him to cancel it ... thank you

All I can tell you is that my dad was starting to have different symptoms with his legs and all. We thought it was just something minor. Then he ended up having hernia surgery in the early fall and then around Christmas he had to get his gallbladder removed. These surgeries took a tremendous toll on him. He never was really back to himself afterwards. Then it was that May that he got the ALS diagnois. I don't know what complications your husband will have though if he doesn't have the surgery. Would it get bigger or worse? Good luck to you. Let us know what your decide. Kim

Surgery takes a toll on PALS for sure. However the risk of a hernia besides pain is that can become incarcerated which would require urgent surgery as that is a life threatening event. Any absolutely needed surgery is better sooner than later when respiratory muscles could be so weak that anesthesia is very dangerous.

I see your husband is not diagnosed at this time. I hope his problems are something else

Glen had hernia surgery during that period where my son and I knew there was something wrong, but we hadn't gotten a diagnosis yet. He actually managed it pretty well. I agree that as long as his doctors feel he can handle the surgery, it is the lesser of two evils. Too many potential complications from the hernia otherwise.

thank you all.. my husband has had the tests and they say it is from the brain but he doesnt say he has ALS. SO far only one leg is affected. Thank you all so much for the replies.. it isnt up to me but i wanted to get some opinions.. so thank you.. im pretty sure he wants to have it.. though there is no pain... will write more later.. thanks for this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back