Old 04-22-2007, 11:06 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Bend
State: Or
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Poco is on a distinguished road
City: Bend
State: Or
Poco is on a distinguished road
Default adaptive clothing/scare

I made a big mistake tonight and left Dick alone while I went to the store and when I returned he was trapped in the chair all twisted. He dropped the chair remote and tried to pick it up and got trapped. He is paralyzed in both arms. I thought I could leave him for short trips but we learned a lesson and luckily nothing was broken. I have him on the bipap in the day now also and it helps but he does pant which is new for him. Having breathing difficulties is scary for us. The ALS doctor ordered a cough assist machine for him and our pulmonologist here does not want him to use it because of the force. It is an awkard situation to be in. Also wondered if anyone has bought adaptive clothing and does it work well. Example would be snaps down the back on shirts etc. Everything is just getting a little harder with dressing him etc. I feel like you are becoming my friends. Also, I heard there is a phone and you say "answer" and it answers the phone for someone who can't use their arms. Anyone familiar with that?
Thanks for being there.
Phyl
Old 04-22-2007, 11:43 PM #2 (permalink)

City: tifton
State: ga
janf is on a distinguished road
City: tifton
State: ga
janf is on a distinguished road

HI HOPES THIS HELPS 1-800-323-5547 www.sammonspreston.com THIS HAS BEEN A GREAT HELP FOR ME. ALSO, DON'T FORGET E-BAY LOTS OF HELP FOR US THERE AT A CHEAPER PRICE. IF I CAN HELP YOU ANYTIME, PLEASE SEND A MESSAGE. JANF
Old 04-23-2007, 07:55 AM #3 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Anytown
State: New England
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
CindyM is on a distinguished road
Forum Moderator

City: Anytown
State: New England
Interest: I am interested in learning about ALS/MND.
CindyM is on a distinguished road

Hi Phyl. that scare must have been unnerving! You don't say (or I didn't notice) what Counrty or State you are in but Verizon has a hands-free telephone for free- or low cost- that they offer. I got my application through my local Independent Living Center. these centers have National affiliates in the US and you can "Google" them to find a local chapter.

I haven't ordered my phone yet so can't speak to how it works. Also the sam Preston site is great, as Janaf pointed out. Let us know what you decide to do and how it works out, OK! Regards, Cindy
Closed Thread

Tags
back, bipap, breathing, chair, clothing, cough assist, mistake, paralyzed, work