02/2012
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York City
Hi there-

My sweet Mom experiences pain that she calls "a ten" in her left arm. This arm no longer works but her hand/fingers do. The pain seems unbearable and doesn't seem to respond to Baclofen or Morphine. We also have lidocaine patches on there and rub Aspercream and massage the muscle (which you can visibly see fascilating under her skin).

I hate that she is experiencing so much pain. She is completely bed ridden - can no longer sit up or roll over on her own.

Has anyone had experience with other options?

Someone mentioned medical marijuana, but we live in NYC and it's not legal here. I have no problem getting it illegally if it can help her with her pain, but I hesitate to give her something that can be, well, who knows!

Thanks

Sorry about your Mom. I also experience pain in my arms. Particularly my left. Heat helps me.

I've taken the marihuana and it does help me, but not all the time. In my case it makes me a bit wobbly; since your Mom is not walking, that may not be an issue for her. Worth a try, if she wants.

My husband also has suffered from extreme pain, if your mom is still on morphine you can ask the doc about increasing it, my husband takes a total of 120mg daily. As a long time smoker he has quit saying that he doesn't like the feeling anymore - not a good combo with the morphine for him. Maybe you could consider making it in a tea or food.

For what it's worth, have y'all ever heard of a product called Tiger Balm? It is a Chinese muscle suave that comes in a little glass jar and can be purchased right off the shelf at Walgreen's and other pharmacies. Costs about $16, $18 bucks, but is totally worth it for sore muscles. There are two versions, one yellow looking and one red. Get the yellow one, it works much better in my opinion.

One word of warning. DO NOT touch your eyes or other 'sensitive parts' with this on your fingers, if you know what I mean! Wash off after IMMEDIATELY after applying with soap and warm water. I speak from experience, trust me. The area you rub it on will heat up and remain 'hot feeling' for several hours. I have used it for my wife who is having lots of back pain. etc. I have also been using it myself for many years. It works!

So sorry Crow. Is the pain constant? that would be just awful! More morphine would be helpful when it gets bad--and I don't think there is any harm in trying the MJ--in a tea or food if she can still eat by mouth. it is suppose to help pain. Is it possible she injured her arm--broke it or tore a ligament or her rotator cuff maybe when she was getting stretched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back