Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
KY
City
Nicholasville
Was just reading through some older posts and came across a comment that a fall can sometimes make ALS worse. My mom got a bad fall last Wednesday. She suffered a cracked shoulder and a large "goose egg" on her head. She is unable to walk unassisted anyway but now her 'assisted" walking isn't good at all.

If true, what is the mechanisim whereby the fall make ALS worse?

Thanks,

Kim

I believe it can speed up the deterioration of muscles that can't repair themselves as normal. Falling also can cause head injuries and broken bones.

I think so.

In early June, I was very able to walk around my house bare feet and largely cane free. Then bam! Had a fall (my first since diagnosis, by the way) and tore ligaments in my foot. Within ten days, I suffered two more falls. OK - the third was falling off a chair as I over extended to retrieve something from the floor - entirely my fault.

Since then, my symptoms are increasing on a daily basis. I can no longer lift an arm. I need assistance with many tasks including cutting food, dressing, drying my hair etc. all things I could do six weeks. I now use my cane all the time and no longer feel confident walking outside. I don't think it's a coincidence.

Hope your mom gets better soon. If she doesn't have a PWC, she should at least have a walker.

Glen had a serious fall off his bike the last time he was able to ride his progression definitly sped up. The FTD symptoms especially.

YES I have fallen a few times. jan 2012 fell and fractured two ribs right side, jan 2013 fell and fractured 3 ribs left side. during healing process felt increase in progression.

What are FTD symptoms?

Takes a while to reset and to get your confidence back

Kim C... FTD is a form of dementia that can be associated with ALS. If you go to the topics list and scroll down, there is a separate message board with a wealth of information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back