Diagnosis
01/2013
Country
US
State
VA
City
NOVA
I have noticed recently when I get in a stressful situation, like I just had at work where some of my software developers were screwing up, it has a profound short term effect on me.

My fasciculations really ramp up across whole body. In addition my right leg which is slightly affected at this point, the gait and "numbness" are highly pronounced right after the event where walking becomes difficult whereas normally I can walk without much issue. Then when I calm down and relax they go back to their "normal" state of where there were before the event.

Normal for anyone else, others have different patterns/issues?

mbmurray....there is no doubt that whenever I deal with a stressful event my symptoms worsen. Mainly it's the increase of fasciculations with me too. I also feel an overall "drain"on my energy until after the event. Just routine stuff is more difficult and until I am able to relax for a while, these symptoms persist.

I have similar symptoms if I have been doing too much physical stuff, like walking too far or if I haven't gotten enough sleep.
My mental and physical well being are very important to prevent the elevated symptoms. Of course stuff happens so it's important for me to "settle" down as soon as possible.

Me three!
Stress & fatigue really bring on twitches. These are more intense and feel " deeper" in the muscles.

Absolutely! One of the most frustrating things about this disease is learning to pace myself and not overdo it. I find stress and exhaustion increase the spasms and the fasciculations.
Hollister

Yes, stress does it....also lack of sleep

same for my husband from the very beginning and still going on! Nerves go crazy firing and misfiring--all because of stress (like when I yell at him...)

My fasciculations seem to be more prominent in the morning after I have slept and in the evening before bed. Though they do tend to go into overdrive when I'm all stressed.

My fasciculations almost disappear during the day when I am at work.

Does anyone else get this type of pattern?

I am so relieved! After having been going through this for nearly 2 years, I have only just begun reading threads like this. My Neuro referred me to a University Neuro hoping she could have tests approved by my insurance that she couldn't. Docs stress me out. She watched me like prey (she looked like a bird), and basically dismissed me. I have PLS w/leg, hip/hand and new arm spasticity. I was jerky and twitchy and she said it did not appear to be neurological. Mind you, I don't have a pre-PLS history of such movements. I have a shrink for the depression; which quickly joined my other symptoms and he felt certain, this was not part of my psychology. OMG! I feel so much better! Thank you all for putting this info out for others.

same for my PALS

and with his bulbar issues, if he gets stressed (including if he finds something funny) his speech becomes totally incoherent, instead of mostly incoherent.

but yes, the fasiculations ramp right up and this last week it can also including his hands start to shake

stress can cause weakness. dec 2011 my son had brain anyorism. it caused me to completely collapse. I recovered but it took a toll on me. I can still walk, talk, eat, breath on my own even after fracturing ribs twice. often wonder where I would be today if these three incidents had not happened.

Stress is my worst enemy...try to avoid it but not always possible and can take me a week to recover!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back