Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Aus
State
VIC
City
Melbourne
I apologize, I do not actually suffer from ALS but rather a very severe form of obsessive-compulsive disorder. there was some evidence published that Riluzole might be helpful in treatment-resistant cases and so my doctor agreed to a trial.

unfortunately it is so hard to find experiences from people who have used the drug for psychiatric purposes that I thought I'd ask here.

I've been taking 100mg a day for the past four days and my main problem is that I've been feeling more alert and agitated; other than that, i haven't noticed any side-effects.

i was curious if anyone else felt more psychologically uncomfortable during the start-up and whether or not it went away?

thank you

Rilutek may cause these side effects in some people who take it:

***Serious side effects

nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);

fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;

chest discomfort, dry cough, trouble breathing;

cough with yellow or green mucus; or

stabbing chest pain, feeling short of breath.

***Less serious side effects of riluzole may include:

dizziness, spinning sensation;

muscle stiffness;

weakness, drowsiness;

numbness or tingly feeling in or around your mouth;

mild nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, constipation;

headache; or

runny nose.

In addition, you have to see a GP on monthly basis to check the level of your liver enzymes as Rilutek tends to elevate the level of such enzymes.

Regards,

my PALS just did 3 weeks on Rilutek.

We were looking for the kind of side effects Carlos describes, and he wasn't getting any of them so we were quite pleased.

Within a week, he started the first fasiculations in his legs (that's the only part of his body that until then had not shown any sign of nerve problems), and after 2 weeks I was worried he was becoming depressed (well more depressed, he was already mildly depressed).

By 3 weeks it wasn't just that he seemed more depressed, but he was so lethargic and apathetic to about everything.

He stopped taking the Rilutek and 48 hours later, he felt a little better, and then every day he came 'back' a bit more and more. Now he can say it was like a dark cloud settling over him, and 10 days since he stopped he is back to his (ALS) self.

Rilutek may cause these side effects in some people who take it:

***Serious side effects

nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);

fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms;

chest discomfort, dry cough, trouble breathing;

cough with yellow or green mucus; or

stabbing chest pain, feeling short of breath.

***Less serious side effects of riluzole may include:

dizziness, spinning sensation;

muscle stiffness;

weakness, drowsiness;

numbness or tingly feeling in or around your mouth;

mild nausea, diarrhea, stomach pain, constipation;

headache; or

runny nose.

In addition, you have to see a GP on monthly basis to check the level of your liver enzymes as Rilutek tends to elevate the level of such enzymes.

Regards,

thanks but I read that (first thing I did) and it doesn't mention psychological discomfort, which of course doesn't rule it out as a possibility

@cyberdog:

Well, as a chemist I am (or was, before ALS), I can tell you that drugs/medications affect people in a very different way.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back