Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
US
State
IL
City
Central IL
Hello all! We are in the very early stages of a bathroom remodel. My mom's bathroom is TINY. Right now we are just discussing options and then an architect friend will come over and tell us what is possible. Has anyone done a remodel or addition? What do you recommend as far as stuff to include/do and measurements? Is there anything we shouldn't do? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you :)

I use something similar to this..(Along with a new right-height toilet) along with grab bars in the tub... But I'm still fairly mobile at this point..

Hi, Amanda,

If the bathroom is tiny, you may want to look into the cost/permits/etc of moving walls to expand it. You may want it fully adapted for disability, including roll-in shower, depending on your mom's needs. That means a contractors who's done that kind of work.

Based on our experience a few years ago (1) write out specs for exactly what you want so you can get comparable bids; (2) if one bid is way lower than others, throw it out; (3) don't rely only a references given to you by contractors--of course they will give you the names of happy customers only -- try Angie's list or similar and the Better Business Bureau; (4) check out their license and insurance coverage.

Be prepared for sticker shock!

We put in a handicapped bathroom upstairs, with a chairlift for my husband to get up there. That is when he could use a walker. Then, we had an addition put on with a huge bathroom/shower. It has two huge closets too!

Things You Need: Closets for all the supplies...we have filled it up with diapers, tube feed supplies, BiPap Supplies, Wound Care, Hoyer Lift, Sip N Puff, ... on and on... The addition has entrances onto our patio with a small ramp, and an entrance to go to the driveway to get into the handicapped van. A raised toilet is a must, handlebars, and we got a moveable handlebar to go around the toilet that we needed for a very long time. Now my husband has a wheelchair/shower chair. We found he needed the back on the chair to support his back because the stool seat was enough anymore. The wheelchair/shower chair has a removable hole with a tray on the bottom that we line with a garbage bag and that is what he now uses instead of the toilet, although you can put the chair directly over the toilet. He prefers the tray. The shower has a removable shower head/spray (European Style) to use to shower him off. I now wash him myself as he just can't use his hands. We wheel that shower chair right in there.

Advice: Stay a step a head of this disease getting what you need before you need it! The best advice I got from our ALS Social Worker! And, stay with your architect! We had a speedy build because they know what measurements and entrance requirements you need. That was the best thing we did to get it done.

At this point, I would have to look up our measurements and I can do, but I will have to repost at another time.

God Bless!

I use something similar to this..(Along with a new right-height toilet) along with grab bars in the tub... But I'm still fairly mobile at this point..

No use posting this with the link deleted... :evil:

@KissJ, Can you explain what type/kind of moveable handlebar that goes around the toilet?

Bathroom remodels can be quite expensive regardless who you hire to do the job.
My sister got a quotation for remodeling the one on the first floor (where I moved from upstairs to avoid climbing stairs) and nearly fell on her back when they told her the price.

In the end, we opted for getting an indoor portable shower loaned from our Local ALS Association and, even when not like a bathroom, has somewhat done the trick for us.

Regards,

Depending on the layout, I know some people have opted to use a ceiling track lift instead of knocking down walls. You then get into the sling in the main room and then just use the track to the points in the bathroom.

KissJ - I didn't even think about an extra closet, but you're right! Thanks for the suggestion! If you happen to have the measurements, great, but don't go out of your way to get them. I will be sure to do my research before we start any construction. I'm sure the architect and contractor will have done their homework as well. But certainly message me if you come across them!

BrianD - Interesting idea about the ceiling track lift. I'll keep that in mind as an option.

To all - Thank you for all your suggestions. Lots of things I hadn't thought of and can now research. Awesome! :)

My husbad used "stand alone" toilet support bars and depended on for a very long time. He can't use them anymore, but when he could be would take them along to visit his brother's cabin for weekend visits. They were a necessity there and otherwise he would not have been able to use their toilet the way it was positioned in the bathroom. Also, it gave enough support it is what we used at home and even took the type that you connect to the toilet away!

Remember "ADA compliant" toilets are still too low, I'm having to put a 3 inch riser under my new toilet. I made the whole room a shower room with a sink and toilet in it.

Would like to see pictures if possible.

Under community pictures and albums on page three is some pics of bathroom remodels.

You can get fairly high toilets at Home Depot even. If you replace one you should consider using an elongated one which will make an add-on bidet seat work better. Just something to keep in mind. The bidet seat would need an electrical outlet.

Remember that the elongated toilets will be harder to find a riser underneath it... and the bidet is definitely worth it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back