Reason
Other
Country
US
State
Ma
City
xyz
I apologize because I don't know where to put this question. I am currently without a diagnosis but have clinical weakness. I asked my gp for anxiety medication because I am really stressed about what's happening to my body. She prescribed Ativan. I took it and my weakness has gotten so much worse. Low and behold I see a side effect is muscle weakness!

If you take anxiety meds, what do you take? Does one exist that doesn't exaserbate weakness?

Thank you for your time

Have you tried Elavil (Amitriptyline)?
It can be prescribed by your Neurologist at the ALS Clinic you attend to.

Elavil has helped some PALS with depression, anxiety, excess saliva, insomnia, not getting up to pee in the middle of the night and apparently improvements with BDNF plus who knows what more.

It does cause dry mouth so drink or swish water in it throughout the day if possible. Also, it causes lower BP and weight gain (which are both positives in ALS). You shouldn't have a problem with tiredness from it throughout the day except when you take a high dose at night which would help you sleep.

Kind regards,

I was prescribed both xanax and klonopin, I take either of them on as needed basis. Supposedly they help lessen the frequency of fasiculations, but not sure if I have noticed that...

Thank you. I will ask my GP about these meds...or maybe I should ask my neurologist at the clinic. It does seem like anxiety meds have weakness as a side effect. That's a bummer.

I have been taking Ativan for about 4 months now. It helps me to sleep at night & keeps me calm. :wink:

I take xanax as needed, it does help with the fasiculations and helps me to sleep

Last edited:
My husband is on Zoloft daily and takes Xanax at night and he is much more calm than he used to be. He still has some anxiety outbursts when he is really tired but all and all the meds are working. He is seen at the ALS clinic at Univ. of Michigan which is supposed to be one of the best and that is what they recommended. Good Luck to you.

I take Zoloft and Ambien nightly. Xanax as needed, and it's commonly prescribed. But that Elavil that Carlos mentioned sounds better. Good luck with everything. -- Ashley

I apologize because I don't know where to put this question. I am currently without a diagnosis but have clinical weakness. I asked my gp for anxiety medication because I am really stressed about what's happening to my body. She prescribed Ativan. I took it and my weakness has gotten so much worse. Low and behold I see a side effect is muscle weakness!

If you take anxiety meds, what do you take? Does one exist that doesn't exaserbate weakness?

Thank you for your time
Maximum American is affected by anxiety disorder. Yoga is the best exercise to get rid of this. Have you tried it? Mindfulness meditation is also another exercise. Both exercises are very useful for those who are suffering from anxiety disorder. After doing such exercises it has been seen that there is a lot decrease in anxiety. Try to do it.

I take Lexapro, but had to try several before my doc agreed that this was the best for me. Then we had to get the dosage right.

My point is that some of this is trial and error and you need to work with an experienced phsichiarist who is unswayed by drug reps and commercials to find what will work for you. A GP or Internist does not necessarily have this experience or talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back