Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
co
City
Denver
I have posted on here a while ago concerning my some issues I was dealing with. Since that date I changed a lot of things about my life and how to understand me and my path forward........ A little background here about me and my past post....... I have been living with the nightmare of FALS for about 20 years. If one was to look back into our bloodline about 5 generations you can put an check mark next to over half of the names on it. The fact is this ****ing disease takes the lives of most and creates complete havoc for anyone who survives the nightmare. I saw first hand my Father pass from it and I never meet my grandfather on that side of the family because it took his life early. I have been living in fear of the unknown. I have been to the doctor and I have symptoms but I can honesty say I am not sick and processed just about everything I can in my own mind. I have been down and out, and I have been to the end of me and back........ I accepted my potential fate and live a life free from the burdens of FALS. If it happens it happens. I love right and try hard to live my life like it's a gift. HOWEVER, I have a sister and never processed things in my head for her. She has had the same odds as I have. She is 39 and a few years older than me. The nightmare is back! She is sick and losing strength in her leg. She is following the same path as my father did and I see it clear as a bell. She is a very strong woman and I am very proud of her. I am so scared for her and I don't know how to help. When my dad died he told me "not to worry son by the time this thing may hit you and your sister there will be a cure." Why isn't there a cure yet and why doesn't anyone know jack about this disease? I have my own thoughts and theories about it but REALLY DAMN IT! what is she going to tell her kids and what do I tell mine. It bothers me to know end, in this day and age, where is the answers!

Rusty I am so sorry. My sister was diagnosed last year. FALS is a true nightmare! Do you know your gene yet? There is gene therapy in the pipeline for c9. Phase 1/2 trial hoped for next year. There has already been a phase 1 for sod1 and they are tweaking it to make it even better for a phase 2

I will keep your sister in my prayers
Nikki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back