06/2009
Country
US
State
MA
City
Westfield
Second Post woohoo :cool:

I am caring full time for my mom. Over the past 2 years things have been so crazy that yardwork/general household maintenance has piled into a mountain. A friend came over recently and cleaned up our yard which was so sweet and an immense relief. Almost all of the cleaning has been left to me (live with messy man-children lol). In their defense, they have been much better about cleaning up but still have a long way to go. Now with hospice visiting daily I am in a frenzy to get the house somewhat clean before they come. I am still teaching the aid how to understand and work with my mom (which takes up time rather than giving me some to clean). Any tips on how to keep things handy/organized or from piling up?
I do overnights with my mom and about 8+ hr days so the quicker and more organized the better! I know I could be better organized but this is not my strong point. I began spending a few hours preparing and freezing casseroles or putting easy things like chopped chicken into tupperware for easy meals because that is all I could think of. But dishes laundry trash and so on get out of hand so fast. Also we tried a chore chart that was a total flop and just caused arguments--so I know this is something I just need to take charge of. Any tips or advice would help. thank you!

Organization is my key to success. I plan meals out a week at a time. I keep them simple. I use the alarm function on my phone for reminders of things that need to get done during the days. I use laundry baskets for whites, colored clothes, and one for sheets & towels. I do laundry every day so it keeps the loads small and manageable. I don't have any help at home because we don't need an aide or hospice yet but most everything still falls on me. I pay someone to clean and mow the lawn. I just had to do it because I couldn't do everything. It wasn't an easy decision but once I made it I have loved it.

When I don't use my phone alarm I use a note pad. Some people use post it notes but for me that looks messy so I use a notebook or a notepad. I often date the page so I know when I did "a thing". Post its are easy to lose and sometimes its good to look back in a notebook to see how you handled something.

It sound like you are doing an outstanding job as your mom's caregiver. Remember to give yourself a little time too because it can be so overwhelming.

I'm sure others have some good things to share with you as well.

Thank you Mary
I think the phone alarm is a good idea because I will lose post-its or notepads somehow. I have been Meal planning and it makes a really big difference (not the best cook though lol). Small loads of laundry is probably the way to go. Thanks, I hope you get some help too sounds like you do so much!

I hope this can help...what we did was put a white board up for all to see and make a list of things (appts, meal plan, etc) that need to get done over a 2 week period. We have a schedule for house chores (laundry, dusting, bathrooms, etc). Pple simply put a check mark beside each item when it is done. This really helps me keep track of things. Too easy to forget. When friends and family ask how they can help, we can the board as a point of reference :) Hope all is well

Oops i just re-read your post and just realized that you have already tried the chore chart. My bad!

thanks cricket! its okay the idea to use it for family or friends as a reference is a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back