Reason
Friend was DX
Country
Uk
State
Cheshire
City
Chester
I used a gold standard whey protein supplement for 4 months and started suffering with lower back pain and body cramps so I stopped taking it these cramps are still present and I now have trouble walking due to the stiffness in my hips lower back knees ankles I have seen numerous doctors had emg tests MRI tests blood tests and no one can find anything wrong I am worried about ALS as my feeling seem to coencied with the symptoms of ALS but my two emgs were negative could the protein supplement which I know is used by thousands of people worldwide have caused some kind of neuron breakdown leading to ALS ?

I doubt it. Your symptoms don't sound like als. Als starts distally like in hand or foot and usually on one side of the body. I am not a dr but it sounds more like a back problem. I would look there and forget about the als.

You do NOT have ALS. Get it out if your head. Your tests are clear.

I'm not a scientist either, so don't know anything your protein question... but I'm betting your doctor knows and would have responded to your query if you asked.

Protein supplements are not controlled by the FDA or the USDA. Several of them have been recalled due to heavy metal contamination. It may not be the protein, it may be lead, arsenic, or the like. Did you tell your doctor about the protein supplements? Double check and make sure they weren't one of the recalled ones. And be grateful it's not ALS.

@Ryan 190:

I was a Chemist before being hit by ALS which forced me to early retirement.

I think I can address your Whey Protein question.
Some manufacturers of these kind of supplementation tend to add Creatine Monohydrate to it.
Creatine Monohydrate is a Nitrogenous compound which is produced naturally in small quantities by your body and it supplies the cells with energy that is used primarily by your muscles. The way this is done is by increasing the formation of ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) which delivers energy throughout your body. Some people, like weightlifters like to add Creatine Monohydrate externally through supplementation.

But, there is a trick when taking these kind of supplementation containing Creatine Monohydrate.
The trick is, you have to drink plenty of fluids (water primarily, about 8 glasses of it), otherwise the Creatine Monohydrate is going to deplete your body from its water content and you are going to end up having painful muscle cramps like those you are experiencing right now.

And, again, your muscle cramps might be due to Creatine and little water intake.

Your EMG came up negative and that's a good sign that you do not have any Neuromuscular problem or disorder such as MND/ALS.

I'm not a Doctor but if you are still worried, seek a second opinion from another Doctor for your own peace of mind.

Best regards,

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back