Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
CO
City
Denver
My father was recently diagnosed with ALS, and it is frightening to see how fast the disease is progressing. It's only been a few weeks, and he's already in a wheelchair. In hindsight I know that there were warning signs, but it seemed to come out of nowhere. I've been reading some of the other posts on here and I can see that many other people share the same feeling of being on a runaway freight train.

The hardest part is knowing that there is absolutely NOTHING I can do to help. I can't get him any medicines, cutting edge treatments, nada. The only thing I can do is build happy memories while I can. Taking trips, talking about the past, etc. I can't imagine what he is going through, as it is hard enough just being on the outside looking in.

I don't know if this is appropriate or not for this forum, but I wanted to share a website that several ALS patients I know are using called GiveForward.com. It lets you hold personal fundraisers for medical expenses or last wishes. I am holding a fundraiser for my dad to help him go on one last trip:

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/gx42/helpmakeadreamcometrue

For those of you struggling with medical expenses, or also hoping to take trips, I thought you might find this to be very useful. I've raised about $1,000 for my dad in just a few short weeks. That's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but it makes me feel like I am doing something positive for him. I wish I was able to find him a cure instead. I am really going to miss my dad, who is also my very best friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back