Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Md
City
North east
I am having this occur mainly throughout the night. When this happens what is the quickest way to make them stop

Muscle relaxers

Sometimes all I have to do is touch or rub the area. I think of it as my body wants me to pay attention to that area so just a touch helps. It may be different for others. And I am not saying they won't come back. Sometimes a certain spot will bother me for hours.

Thanks I am currently maxed out on baclofen ans I am taking zanaflex also. I will see if I can add Valium .

I have tried massaging and trying to walk around with no relief. Soaking in warm water seems to help after a few mins.
That's just a pain to do throughout the night . I will try and appreciate your quick response

I've heard that Magnesium Citrate has been used by some people to treat the fasciculations.

Hope this helps.

A heating pad on the area works, but takes a while. Sometimes weight on the area works. Like if it's my left leg acting up, if I lay on my left side and rest my right leg on top of my left leg, it will calm down enough for me to fall asleep.

Someone here had mentioned drinking chocolate milk before going to bed. My husband was having terrible legs cramps and I told him to try it and low and behold it worked! Maybe you could try it.

Here's what is working for my wife right now......doesn't stop the fasciculations, but it does help with the cramps quite a lot (she still has them sometimes, but can usually make it through the night....or, most of the night). Anyway, Nighthawk mentioned Magnesium Citrate. My wife takes Magnesium Oxide. It is very reasonably priced, and does a good job, so far......no guarantees, but worth a try. Also, she takes a lot of aspirin.....yep, just plain ol' 325mg aspirin. 2 at a time, every three hours (thereabouts). Believe it or not, the aspirin is amazing. And cheap......also worth a try. Our Dr. said she could have up to 8 doses (two aspirins) in 24 hours. She is taking usually 6 doses, sometimes 7 in 24 hours, and up to 4 of the Mag/Ox in that same 24 hour period (basically, one with every other dose of aspirin).

Everyone is different, good luck!

I count them. Like sheep. And drift off to sleep.
Wake up, feel them again, resume the counting.

Never have gotten past 60 or so. Works for me.

Tonic water not the cheap stuff ..

Thank you for all the helpful post and I will give each of them a try, besides the fasculations my cramps have been horrible, leaving my calf muscles so tender, even to bear weight the next day, I have added a night splint also because of my foot drop, found that a strassburg sock is more comfortable to sleep in . I am hoping by keeping my foot in dorsi flexion at night also my help limit my cramps. Any suggestions on night sweats at night, I am trying to figure out if I am having night sweats b/c the cramps are so horrible. appreciate everyone taking the time to give me suggestions.

I see a neuromuscular physician that is known around the world for her work. She has tested me for many things but have not given me a diagnosis yet of course my luck I am not easily diagnosed but I know I am in very good hands with the physicians I have. I come from a family that each different generation has a different neuromuscular disease. I went from being spastic to this January weakness in my legs, my quads are so weak I cannot keep the legs straight, muscle cramping, now my small and ring finger on the left are falling and subluxing, thumb is hyper flexing and right fingers are falling among other things. Swallowing has become difficult and now i have started speech therapy.

I do not want anyone to think that I am saying that I have ALS, I see alot of people come hear with symptoms asking if they have ALS, that is not why I am here. I am just hear b/c I know that you guys maybe able to give me some advice on how to handle symptoms I maybe having. I currently work in the health field, in the operating room and the office, my job is becoming harder but I am determined to find a way that I can do it. I know psychologically it will kill me if I cannot work, I enjoy helping other people and keeping busy!

I commend each and everyone of you out there for fighting on and having the attitude you have !

Thanks Again for all your advice !

What tests have you had?

Better question is what have I not had

Re: cramping

Back for more advice. My calf is cramping so bad. Its tender making it hard to walk. On neurontin and baclofen. I have added valium without much relief. Any siggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back