Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
ga
City
savannah
MY dad was diagnosed in Feb and only has problems with his lower left leg right now, It is completely dead weight basically. He is using a walker and a wheelchair. Does anyone know of any tricks to make it easier to get him up off the couch or recliner? Also does anyone know about the shower, he has a shower seat but i am scared to death he is going to fall getting in and out..

Thanks
Jennifer

I am truly blessed for each day i have left with my daddy!

I used bed risers on the sofa legs to make it high enough for awhile. Doc can write a script for a lift recliner. Medicare will cover a portion of the cost. A bedside commode can be placed over the toilet (legs are height adjustable)
You can check with local ALSA or MDA to see if they have items in their loaner closet.
Have his PT, OT offer suggestions for shower. We had a local do a home visit for assessment and recommendations.

Hey Jennifer. Really sorry about your father's illness. Are you familiar with transfer boards for getting in and out of the shower/tub? They extend over the edge of the tub so you can sit down outside the tub, then swing your legs over the edge, then slide your body until you're inside the tub. On some of them you scoot your butt on the transfer seat. Others have a rotating and sliding seat that rides on a track.

In the short term, elevating the chair or sofa on spacers placed under the legs will make it a lot easier for him to get up and down. That, like every other accommodation is going to be temporary. But with ALS that's typical of what you have to deal with - like trying to hit a moving target. You're probably aware of lift-assist chairs that give you a boost when you're standing up. They too, are going to help for a while.

If there is someone to assist him, then there are techniques to assist him. You basically get in front of him, get a secure hold under his arms, then in coordination with his effort get him on his feet and immediately pivot 90 degrees and lower him into his waiting wheelchair. It's all one smooth movement. You can also get transfer belts that give you a secure handhold on him.

Have you made contact with a local ALS association? If not, I'd highly recommend you do that as soon as possible. They are very helpful and maintain loan closets of useful equipment, such as shower transfer seats, transfer belts, power wheelchairs, hospital beds, and most anything else you'll eventually find you need. They can also show you how to use it.

Your dad is certainly fortunate to have such a loving daughter in his corner. I pray peace and grace to you both.

can he transfer from wc to slide in shower stool. use suction grab bars in shower. i can still stand but always hold onto a bar. placed at different heights he may be able to pull up to standing position. put wand and hose on shower and someone outside the shower can hose him down while he holds himself up right

I used cushions for added elevation, then I only sat in chairs with arms, so I could push with my arms. Then I got a "seat assist." I have grab bars in the shower that are held by screws. I now use a shower chair that rolls into the shower, so it's very safe. I could be strapped in if that time comes. Got that from the mda loan closet.

Bob

Jennifer,

You should contact your Local Chapter of the ALS Association in regards to your father and, let them know the mobility problems he's having due to this disease.
They will send a representative to your home to conduct an assessment based on the needs your father has and then, they can loan the necessary equipment for your father from the "Loaner Closet" which includes (but not limited to) rolling walkers, wheelchairs, shower seats, Lifts, pillow wedges, hospital position beds, booster chair for the toilet, etc.

But, you've got to contact them by phone right away or they won't know about your father's needs.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back