Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Jacksonville
Hi. I am a PALS, diagnosed 4 1/2 yrs ago. I have leg onset, but have managed to live on my own using a rollator, and having help with cooking, cleaning and laundry twice weekly. I am at the point now that I need more help and a power wheel chair. Since I have no primary caregiver, or family who are willing/able to take me in, I will probably need assisted living.

I heard or read (somewhere?) that Medicare will not pay for a wheelchair if you are in an assisted living facility. Does anyone on here know anything abut this. The Medicare website indicates it must be for use 'in your home'. i would think that an apartment in an assisted living facility would qualify as a home, but now I am suspicious.

Pam

I don't know--but order it NOW--your neuro (or any ALS clinic) should write for it. In the meantime... contact the ALS association here in FL and see if they have one in the loaner closet.

Someone with leg onset shouldn't have an issue getting one--it's the 20% that'll be difficult without a good insurance plan to supplement medicare.

You might try finding a CNA to live-in via Craigslist before you do the nursing home thing.

If you don't have a clinic--go to Mayo in Jax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back