Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
ga
City
savannah
I just received the ulmonary test back online today from my dad's visit friday. IT says that his FVC was 73% and his maximal inspiratory was 77% and maximal expriatory was 75 %. Can anyone tell me if this is good. We want hear from the DR. till tomorrow.

Thanks
THis place has truly been a life saver for me the past three weeks.

73%
Those FVC numbers are very good Jennifer. Mine are 68% for comparison.
A normal and healthy adult usually reads around 80% so, your Dad reading 73% is very good.

Just be mindful as ALS progresses over time, those numbers tend to decline and, when they fall below 50% your Dad is going to need the BiPAP to breathe better. Furthermore, if he starts early to develop swallowing issues, then the PEG tube procedure is recommended to be done while his FVC is still GREATER than 50%. If it drops below 50%, no gastroenterologist will want to do the PEG procedure as it becomes dangerous because they have to use anesthesia.
PEG tube avoids what is called "aspiration" which means food going down the wrong pipe into the lungs and causing pneumonia which might be fatal to older PALS.

Hope this helps,

NH

Last edited:
Some doctors suggest that using a bipap when the numbers are in the 70's is better than waiting til it hits 50.

Nighthawk--80 isn't great for a normal healthy adult--at ALL. At 75% I'm on O2 and a bi-pap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back